PROC reverse polarity test?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnWa_1259496
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome! 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

I was wondering if anyone, including Cypress, has determined the result of a reverse-polarity supply on a PROC BLE chip or module?

A product using a CR2032 battery will usually have a possibility of the user inserting the battery backwards. Designing a polarity protection circuit with a very low voltage drop presents a challenge.

I do know from testing that "another well-known manufacturers" bluetooth chip will have a damaged radio if this happens although the CPU will still work.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Usually the mechanics of a CR2032 prevents applying a reversed voltage when the battery is inserted upside-down. Cheap or too simple coin-cell holders may not have this option.

Bob

0 Likes
AnWa_1259496
Level 4
Level 4

The type where the battery slides in sideways dont usually have any protection, but I will look at whats available.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

If you do not have a mechanically constrained approach there are

some pretty low drop Schotkys available that will lose very little

headroom in a battery backup design, sub 200 mV for mA kinds

of current.

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/96059/switch-between-battery-and-usb-power-no-microco...

http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1136

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

One contact is made at the rim of the cell, the other in the midst. When the cell is inserted upside down, there is still the contact at the rim, but the midst contact is now on the same side as the rim is. So there is no polarity reversal.

Bob

0 Likes
AnWa_1259496
Level 4
Level 4

Bob, I believe the type you are referring to is the one commonly used on PC motherboards where the battery slots in from the top.

I have yet to find a "letter box" type with polarity protection, suitable for a keyfob etc. Not really sure why, as it cant be difficult to design a type with side contacts for positive and a pad on one side for negative, which the battery slides into.

The other question is, if using a reverse-polarity protection circuit with a forward voltage drop, does that increase the overall power dissipation or is the power wasted by the protection offset by the fact the chip is running at a lower VCC?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Like this one?

Bob

0 Likes
AnWa_1259496
Level 4
Level 4

Needs to be horizontal not vertical.

Mr Picky here 🙂

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Bend the wires?

Bob

0 Likes
AnWa_1259496
Level 4
Level 4

Bending the wires might work, we will need to get samples and evaluate this in a manufacturing scenario. 

Incidentally the method I went with in the aforementioned design using the "other" BLE product which was for  German car company was to use an Si2323 MOSFET in series with gate to GND. This gives a very low voltage drop.

0 Likes