help using Creator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello guys,

Greetings.

I'm new at using the PSoC Creator, there are some things I am not clear about :-

I am using the CY8CKIT-042, with that I did wish to engage a Matrix Keypad for Std. 4x4 combination.

For the same I found the Matrix Component under the CapSense_CSD in the component catalog.

Then I have to code for the same.

Now the question I am facing is Where the H/W is for on-board testing? Do I need to make my own PCB, Matrix implemented; prior to check the working of the my code & design & all.

Consider this, Prior to this I have worked only on PSoC 1, where I had both Central Board & Supportive boards like Linear Slider & Buttons to evaluate all.

I'm used to that but with PSoC 42xx & Creator I do not find such things, so I'm bit confused.

Please tell me Do I Need to Make My PCB For Matrix Keypad?

Help me sort it out.

Thanks &Regards-

Amit

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Amit,

the Board you have got is the Pioneer kit and it already has some (but few) external components on board as a linear slider and the needed hardware add-ons like the C-tank.

Does your PSoC1 add-on board for capsense have got 4x4 matrix buttons? If so, you may connect that board to your Pioneer kit using the informations in the appropiate schematics.

Otherwise you need a (self-made) pcb for the matrix-buttons which you connect to the Pioneer kit.

For creating the proof-of-concept I experimented successfully using conductive ink to draw buttons and sliders on overhead transparencies.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hello Bob,

Greetings for the day.

1)  As you mentioned :

Either I will have to use the PSoC1 add-on board with proper observations OR I need to design my own one.

2)  Now 2nd linking question comes :

Does Cypress has any standards with designing the add-on boards to opt better results or are we on our own to do that?

Can you suggest me any designs as an example?

or any generally used Std. 4x4 Matrix keypad design will work for the best as I was planing to have it with CapSense.

3)  Can I use it with SmartSense? I know PSoC4 does support SmartSense, just want to confirm it in case of Matrix keypad.

Awaits for response.

Thanks & Regards-

Amit

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

1)  As you mentioned :

Either I will have to use the PSoC1 add-on board with proper observations OR I need to design my own one.

If you want to tune to the end product layout yes you would have to make your own board

as layouts is everything in  Capsense due to relatively low capacitances.

2)  Now 2nd linking question comes :

Does Cypress has any standards with designing the add-on boards to opt better results or are we on our own to do that?

Can you suggest me any designs as an example?

or any generally used Std. 4x4 Matrix keypad design will work for the best as I was planing to have it with CapSense.

Capsense guide -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=78578     PSoC® 4 CapSense® Design Guide

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=105244     PSOC 4 Tuning Guide

CY3280 board as a proof of concept, but still have to tune your specific layout at a later

time.

3)  Can I use it with SmartSense? I know PSoC4 does support SmartSense, just want to confirm it in case of Matrix keypad.

Yes.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dana,

Greetings for the day.

Thanks for clearing me, as smartsense will be handy while using it for various sites.

For the designing guidelines I will have these suggested docs to my assist, thanks. If any problem arised I will get back to you guys.

Regards-

Amit

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Glad I could be of help.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes