PSoC4-M The DMA is working!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I was quite content when I saw the PSoC4 - M version got DMA capabilities. But when I started to dig into that matter (Datasheet, component) I was quite more than content: No DMA wizard needed, no copy and paste #defines and code but instead a small custimizer that even offers more capabilities the DMA in PSoC5 has got!!!

A pure "Setup, Start and Lean back" solution. Great job done by the hardware developers and the software team!

Only point (yes, I have got one!) could be to explain a little bit more about the "Post completion actions" and the need to set "Invalidate descriptor" to get the DMA stopped after it has done its work.

Bob

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed, that DMA in psoc4m is different from that in psoc5: no more high 16 address bits shared for TDs within one DMA channel, but TDs number is limited to 2, if I understanding it right?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

That's right, Only two TDs for one channel. But having two TDs will solve most problems including double buffers etc.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think, I'm missed with this "invalidate descriptor" stuff. is it possible to change 2-nd TD from first TD? 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You may change (and validate() ) the second TD before it is run, but what for? Can you please provide a (hypothetical) example where you would like to have / need more than two TDs?

Bob

0 Likes