understanding I2C bus address

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I'm implementing a linux driver for CY14B512I on chip DM8127.

In the "Slave Device Address" section, in Table1 "Slave Device Addressing" there is a field called "Device Select ID".

I couldn't find what that "Device Select ID" means.

Hope you can help me with that.

BR. Hagai

0 Likes
1 Solution
MeduH_46
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi Hagai,

The "Device select ID" are the 3 bits in slave address which are represented by the status of A2, A1, A0 input pins. 

A2, A1, A0 pins are used to select between the multiple slave devices connected on the same bus.  Since there are 3 pins, a maximum of 8 devices can be connected on the same bus. If these pins are not connected or left floating, the default state is LOW. Hence the "Device select ID" bits = 000.

Figure 7, Figure 8 and Figure 9 give some more details.

Please let me know if you have any other queries on this.

Thanks.

Harsha 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
MeduH_46
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi Hagai,

The "Device select ID" are the 3 bits in slave address which are represented by the status of A2, A1, A0 input pins. 

A2, A1, A0 pins are used to select between the multiple slave devices connected on the same bus.  Since there are 3 pins, a maximum of 8 devices can be connected on the same bus. If these pins are not connected or left floating, the default state is LOW. Hence the "Device select ID" bits = 000.

Figure 7, Figure 8 and Figure 9 give some more details.

Please let me know if you have any other queries on this.

Thanks.

Harsha 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi got it working. Thanks 🙂   
0 Likes