SPI_ReadRxStatus returns 0x0000

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Greetings all, i'm getting started with nRF24L01P IC, i'm able to get the values of the registers of the chip and save it on the Rx Buffer, my problem is when i try to know the "status" of the RxBuffer to know if it's full, not empty or overrun.

My RxBuffer size is 7 bytes, i'm only using 6, so SPI_ReadRxStatus must return me it's "not empty" i assume, all i got is a 0x0000, it's not even on the Rx return values, (it's on the TxStatus return values).

0 Likes
11 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Find attached a txt with the code and the output of the terminal, i wan't able to paste it here without being dettected as a "spam" :s

Any reason on why im getting 0x00 on the RxBufferStatus?

must be something dummy im doing wrong 😕

Thanks in advance

Carlos

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Carlos,

it is always advisable to post your complete project, so that we all can have a look at all of your settings. To do so, use
Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
and attach the resulting file.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Here it is Bob, thanks in advance, i also have doubts about the pin placement for the SPI, is there any appnote about this, or all is ok?

Carlos

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are using a buffer > 5 bytes. This activates the internal interrupt handling which removes the data from the FIFO and stores that in the buffer. Any Rx-status information are lost. You should use SPIM_GetRxBufferSize() API which does not return the size but the number of bytes received and stored in the buffer.

Bob

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Thanks for the answer Bob, didn't read that on the datasheet, your explanation solves my question. Also i found SPI_RX_BUFFER_SIZE, comparing it with SPI_GetRxBufferSize() must solve my issue, thanks again.

Carlos

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are always welcome!

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

I'm back, still having some problems with SPI, im having some glitches on the pSS line (about 0.5uS) specifically on nRF24_ReadMultipleRegister() and nRF24_WriteMultipleRegister() functions, i build it so there must be a silly error. I attach the logicdata file of the logic analizer (i'm sampling at 8MHz, SPI is 2MHz), the psoc proyect, a image with the problem and another one where i was able to write and read multiple bytes registers.

I haven't been able to find the problem, some days ago those functions were running well, i think my problem is a hardware one.

Thanks in advance

Carlos

0 Likes
lock attach
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

With this project i have no problems, nRF24_ReadMultipleRegister() and nRF24_WriteMultipleRegister() functions works fine, i have not found any differences, i don't know what can be the problem, any suggestion?

EDIT

It seems to be the System Master Clock, the non working project was 24 MHz, the working one is 48 MHz, now i think the problem is solved.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The ss-line gets automatically de-asserted when the FIFO buffer is empty. This can be an unwanted behaviour when there are still bytes to be sent. A way out is to manage an slave select signal (pin) yourself, pulling it low at the begin of a transaction and releasing it to high at the end.

Bob

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

polling SS line by myself seems to be the unique solution, did some tests and this problem are present with Tx or Rx buffers bigger than 4 bytes (software buffers), also found similar problems in old post here on the forum, the way i solved (without polling SS myself) is increasing the cpu freq., SPI@2MHz and CPU@48MHz, but if i want the cpu running @24MHz, what SPI clock must i use? 500 KHz? any rule of thumb?

Thanks for the help here and in other questions i did.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Difficult to name a clock speed. Running at 48MHz will give the CPU more time to act, specially shoveling the bytes into the SPI FIFOs before they get emptied by the hardware.

Again: easiest will be to maintain an own ss-line that is held low during a complete transaction, not much overhead.

Bob

0 Likes