Power Calculator Spreadsheet

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

In AN92548, on pg 21, is mentioned an Excel worksheet being provided with the application note for power estimating.

I searched the Cypress site and the internet but can not locate the Excel worksheet, can anyone provide it or a link?

It looks like it will let me estimate power at different TX power levels.

This would be great as my iPhone will always be within 4 feet of device and I think -18db should work fine at that range.

I do not have the expensive equipment that will let me resolve current at ua levels and with an adjustable aperture.

Thanks Dale

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correction, the app note is AN92584. 🙂

I guess you missed the ZIP file on the AN92584 website here. Download the ZIP file and extract the content. You will find two example projects and the Excel sheet.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, not sure how I just got the pdf!

Edit, oh I remember, I saw the zip and pdf there so I said to myself, why would I want to have a zip and then have to extract the pdf as an extra step.  There were no indications that zip file contained more than the pdf.  Sometimes I overthink 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, at -18db which I think is a 63 times reduction of power (1/10^1.8), the current only drops about 6%.

How does that make sense?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Probably there is something more powered while transmitting than just the radio?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes but I figured that may be about 5 µa since the current goes down to the 10 µA area at the long intervals 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dale,

Is the current change you see the average value calculated? If yes, then the average value would also depend for how long the system was put to low-power mode. The -18 dBm will affect the BLE TX, which is only part of the calculation.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, after reading AN92584 Appendix B and reviewing their Figure 10 Current Scope image on page 20, I took the liberty of guessing at the portion of the waveform that actually transmits the data.  I have attached an image of that guess.

My guess is that only about 15% of the total energy is sent to the RF section so I am less confused again:)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I would like to use the power calculator (Cypress PSOC4ABLE Power Calculator (128K Flash).xls) with Open Office Calc. Everything was fine with opening the file and displaying the sheets. Also the macro activation was successful. But now the data input fails because of cell protection, which is active also for the yellow cells. Is it possible to provide the password? THX & BR

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again, another suggestion: Is it possible to publish a OpenOffice Version of the PowerCalculater Spread Sheet (.ods), what I would appreciate very much. THX.

0 Likes