Reading Characteristic value other than uint8

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm making a project in which the client reads a few values from the server when the server characteristics are updated.

From what I understand, this is how to read characteristic values:

case CYBLE_EVT_GATTS_WRITE_REQ:
        /* This event is generated when the connected Central */
        /* device sends a Write request. */
        /* The parameter 'eventParam' contains the data written */

wrReqParam = (CYBLE_GATTS_WRITE_REQ_PARAM_T *) eventParam;

if (CYBLE_DELAY_SERVICE_DELAY_INFO_CHAR_HANDLE ==
                                        wrReqParam->handleValPair.attrHandle)
            {
                Array[0] =
                            wrReqParam->handleValPair.value.val[0];
                Array[1] = 
                            wrReqParam->handleValPair.value.val[1];

uint16value = wrReqParam->handleValPair.value.val;

}

CyBle_GattsWriteRsp(cyBle_connHandle);
        break;

This words fine for the array, but when i use a uint16 it won't allow it, as "handleValPair.value.val" is a uint8. If someone could help me with this or point me in the direction of a good example of how to read/write characteristic values it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, this is not a Read operation on a characteristic but rather a Write operation from Client to Server. I guess that is what you meant.

Coming to array vs uint16, you can consider the uint16 as an array too, with the size of 2 bytes. The first byte you receive is the LSB and the second byte is MSB. You can reconstruct the uint16 value as below:

uint16value = ((uint16)wrReqParam.handleValPair.value.val[1] << 😎 | ((uint16)wrReqParam.handleValPair.value.val[0]) ;

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, this is not a Read operation on a characteristic but rather a Write operation from Client to Server. I guess that is what you meant.

Coming to array vs uint16, you can consider the uint16 as an array too, with the size of 2 bytes. The first byte you receive is the LSB and the second byte is MSB. You can reconstruct the uint16 value as below:

uint16value = ((uint16)wrReqParam.handleValPair.value.val[1] << 😎 | ((uint16)wrReqParam.handleValPair.value.val[0]) ;

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that is what I meant. Thank you very much.

0 Likes