UART Bootloaad Fail

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
JoLo_284096
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Dear All,

I have a problem when try to upload a FW using a bootload process.

I am using the UART Bootloader Host Application that offers Cypress for the bootloading. See attached picture.

I also attach some pictures of the configuration of the Bootlader, the UART that bootloader use and also the Bootloadable component of the application.

The bootload process starts but some seconds after ends reporting "Bootload Failed 4...."

Any idea of what can be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Joaquin.

0 Likes
18 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Joaquin: Have you checked out this document  http://www.cypress.com/file/45171/download. After review I have notice that you do not have the Reset on your UART tied to Ground as is recommended and also you wait time has been increased to 4000 in the bootloader configuration screen. 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I would suggest to remove (uncheck) the "Hardware TX-Enable on your UART configuration.

How did you connect your PC to your board? Did you use a level-shifter (as the MAX232) to convert the 5V levels to +-12V?

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

From the UART Datasheet (Reset Connection) -

The reset input resets the UART state machines (RX and TX) to the idle state. This throws
out any data that was currently being transmitted or received. This input is a synchronous
reset that requires at least one rising edge of the clock. The reset input may be left floating
with no external connection. If nothing is connected to the reset line the component will
assign it a constant logic 0.

I happen, however, to agree with Bob Goar, as not all input pins on various components

can be left floating,and even though you may get a warning I think its best to terminate

unused pins. Just to be safe.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
JoLo_284096
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Thank you all for your support.

Answering to your comments:

(1) Yes, I have read the AN68272. It is my source of inspiration...

(2) I have connected the reset to '0' and tested without any improvement

(3) I have unckecked "Hardware TX-Enable" on the UART configuration without success.

(4) I attach some pictures where you can see the connection between the PSOC chip and the "external" world throught a level shifter. After the level shifter I have a commercial Rs232-USB converter to connect to my PC.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks again for your support.

Joaquin

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

What you might do is eliminate the RTS232 link as a problem for starters.

Use an example UART project, set same baud rate, open a terminal session,

and confirm link and interface all good. If that passes muster then move on to

your code as suspect.

One area to pay attention to is PC COM port settings, buffer, flow control, etc..

Not using a USB to COM port dongle on PC side ? If so make sure its driver latest and greatest.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

Hi all:

Thank you for your support.

Still having the same problem. The situation is as follow:

(1) I developed a protoype of the project on a CY8CKIT-050 including the bootloader system and had not problem. I am able to bootload the system from my computer.

(2) With this project (prototype project) I go to the actual board (already manufactured) and everything goes well, including the bootload system. So the the link seems to be perfect.

(3) Then I take the final project, which has been designed in another computer and another person (who included the bootloader system into the final project) and it does not work. However my colleague is able to bootload from his computer.

So in my opinion it can be a problem of my computer, I mean, windows or a project property that is in the final project that is not compatible with my system.

According to your suggestion I have bought a new USB to COM dongle, so it seems it is not a dongle problem.

I have revised both projects (final which dont work and prototype which do) and I dont see any build setting or properties different between them.

Is there any place where I can look for  "Bootload Failed 4    17/08/2015 12:21:03"? Anyone knows what does it mean?

Is there any Windows COM properties to look if there is something wrong or configurable?

Any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Joaquin.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

This is getting very technical, I would suggest you to immediately create a case and get in contact to Cypress directly.

To do so, at top of this page click on "Design Support" and select "Create a Support Case" from the menu. Leave your timezone and a phone-number, you might be called back. A link to this thread would shorten the response time, too.

Bob

0 Likes

Hello,

Can you please change the buadrate and try. Are you facing the issue with the buadrate set as 9600 kbps?Also please let us know if you are using PSoC Creator 3.2 for creating the project. 

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
lock attach
JoLo_284096
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

I am using PSOC Creator 3.1 I Attached an image of the exact PSCO creator I have.

I have tested at 9600 kbps and it works!!! I had tested with 54600 and 19200 but I havent go so slow...Any idea of the reason? It take about 2 minutes so it would be nice if it was faster...but at least it works.

Thanks in advance,

Joaquin.

0 Likes
JoLo_284096
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hello,

In meanwhile I have updated to PSOC Creator V3.2 and  updated the UART component from V2.40 to V2.50. I have tested again with 56400-19200-9600 and only works on 19200 and lower, so it has improved a little ....I would like to know the real reason why it does not work at higher speeds.

Hima, are you able to tell us the real reason? I am afraid that in a future project I have similar problem.

Thanks in advance,

Joaquin.

0 Likes

Hello Joaquin,

I'm not able to find out the reason. I may need to check the bootloader packets to understand what error is occurring for higher baud rates. I'll get back to you once I have done the tests.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
JoLo_284096
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hello Hima,

Tahnk you for your answer.

If you need something from my side do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Joaquin.

0 Likes
JoLo_284096
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hello Hima,

We have done a first deliverable of the system to our customer with the bootload system at 9600Kbs. We have told them that we will update the speed as soon as possible and we will see them again in short. Is there any advance in this issue? Do you consider as a best option that I  "create a Support Case"?

Thanks in advance,

Joaquin.

0 Likes

Hello Joaquin,

Apologies for the long delay in responding back. I was on vacation. Can you please test the same projects with the latest PSoC Creator 3.2 SP1. I was able to bootload the project at a baud rate 57600 Kbps.

Thank you for the patience.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
JoLo_285951
Level 2
Level 2
First like received Welcome!

Hello Hima,

Thank you for your answer. Really I still have the problem. I am using PSOC Creator 3.2 SP1 as shown in the picture attached. Even with 9600KbS still have some problems. I have to repeat the process several times to get it uploaded.

Could it be a problem with Windows? Do you need  I send you the project?

Thanks in advance,

Joaquín.

0 Likes
lock attach
JoLo_285951
Level 2
Level 2

Now with the image...sorry

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hello ,

It will be better if this issue handled via a technical support case. Can you please create a case. We will try to analyze the issue in detail.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
JoLo_285951
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, thank you Hima, I will do so.

0 Likes