installing issues related to 64-bit Windows 7 and to FTDI drivers

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to install IDE & SDK 3.0.1 to a 64-bit Windows 7 machine.  After installing, I can't get Broadcom debug board to work and I found out that there is no driver for FTDI.

I tried to run "dpinstall.exe" manually but the program complained that a 64-bit version of dpinstall.exe should be run on this machine.

- Where can I get a 64-bit version of dpinstall.exe so I can manually install drivers for the debug board with FTDI IC?

- Is there any other way to install drivers or to make the debug board to work?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
SeyhanA_31
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

Wiced SDK 3.0.1 runs okay on 64-bit Windows 7 PC.

Wiced drivers, including JTAG and serial ports, are attached.

USB drivers are missing on the limited release of SDK-3,0.x because it was expected users are moving from earlier SDK release to SDK-3.0.x. But other releases, SDK-2.4.0 and SDK-2.4.1, drivers are located in .../Drivers/BCM9WCD1EVAL1_Drivers directory of Wiced SDK.

FTDI chip on the Wiced evaluation board is already programmed with a correct driver. If you need more info about FTDI chip programming please take a look at WICED FTDI chip programming blog.

Seyhan

View solution in original post

11 Replies
lock attach
SeyhanA_31
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

Wiced SDK 3.0.1 runs okay on 64-bit Windows 7 PC.

Wiced drivers, including JTAG and serial ports, are attached.

USB drivers are missing on the limited release of SDK-3,0.x because it was expected users are moving from earlier SDK release to SDK-3.0.x. But other releases, SDK-2.4.0 and SDK-2.4.1, drivers are located in .../Drivers/BCM9WCD1EVAL1_Drivers directory of Wiced SDK.

FTDI chip on the Wiced evaluation board is already programmed with a correct driver. If you need more info about FTDI chip programming please take a look at WICED FTDI chip programming blog.

Seyhan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Seyhan,

Thanks for your reply but your email doesn't include any attachment.

0 Likes

Hi,

Attachment at above reply. E-mails are generated by the forum as entries are updated.

Seyhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Seyhan,

Got it.

I downloaded and uncompressed the zip file.

When I tried to run the "dpinst.exe" file, it still complained that I

needed to run 64-bit version of DPInst.exe

1. Is there a 64-bit version of DPInst.exe in existence?

2. Alternatively, is there any other way to install these drivers

without running DPInst.exe?

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Seyhan,

After some tweaking, I finally got the drivers installed as following

(as shown in Windows 7's Device Manager"):

After some twiking, we finally got the drivers installed as following

WICED USB JTAG Devices

- WICED USB JTAG Port

Ports (COM & LPT)

- WICED USB Serial Port (COM9)

However, I still can't download the images to my EVM board. Here is

a bit more information.

1. Our hardware setup is:

BCM9FTDIAD_3 board is connected to PC through USB. It is also

connected to the target board (BCM9WCD1AUDIO_3) through a ribbon cable

for JTAG interface.

2. If I tried to run putty on COM9, putty failed. So it doesn't

look like COM9 is working or is detected by Windows 7.

3. I tried to run OpenOCD to download images to the target board

and this failed. Attached is a file with the verbose messages from

OpenOCD.

0 Likes

Hi,

Sample scan application "snip.scan" builds and runs as expected on the BCM9WCD1AUDIO board with BCM9FTDIAD programmer. Serial port on the BCM9FTDIAD works as expected as well.

Make Target command: snip.scan-BCM9WCD1AUDIO-debug VERBOSE=1 download run

Have you checked your eclipse setup? Perhaps you may take a look at Creating and/or Editing Debug Configurations, this would apply to SDK-3.0.1 as well.

Please let me know if you still have problem.

-Seyhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm having similar issue installing the drivers with the "dpinst.exe" file.

Could let me know which tweaks were applied to get the drivers

installed successfully per your response below?

After some tweaking, I finally got the drivers installed as following

After some twiking, we finally got the drivers installed as following

WICED USB JTAG Devices

- WICED USB JTAG Port

Ports (COM & LPT)

- WICED USB Serial Port (COM9)

Thanks,

Mark

0 Likes

My expectation was to be able to run the application connecting the Broadcom EVB (ref: BCM9WCD1EVAL1, mounted with BCM943362WCD4) and my computer via **a single USB cable**, without j-link debugging tool. So I would be able to get UART traces and FTDI debug as well (same way as described in the official video and QS documentation).

Note (if you don't want to read the rest of this post): I am able to bypass the problem if I plug a Segger J-Link and download my app over JTAG.

After building the application I ran into this issue with the message in the console window launching snip.scan-BCM943362WCD4 download run. This is the same error that is documented throughout the forum.

Downloading Bootloader ...

"**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver from the drivers directory, and that the debugger is not running **** In Linux this may be due to USB access permissions. In a virtual machine it may be due to USB passthrough settings. Check in the task list that another OpenOCD process is not running. Check that you have the correct target and JTAG device plugged in. ****"

Downloading DCT ...

If I looked at the Windows Device manager I would see the following (everything looks good):

Under Port (COM & LPT): WICED USB Serial Port (COM26)

Below Universal Serial Bus controllers I see: WICED USB JTAG Devices.

My machine is a Lenovo 64bits running Windows 7. I drilled into the makefile to execute again the same command that provided the error message via Cygwin (usually a good approach to have more information). The command line is displayed below as well as the error message:

$ ./WICED-SDK/tools/OpenOCD/Win32/openocd-all-brcm-libftdi.exe -f ./WICED-SDK/tools/OpenOCD/BCM9WCD1EVAL1.cfg -f ./WICED-SDK/tools/OpenOCD/stm32f2x.cfg -f ./WICED-SDK/tools/OpenOCD/stm32f2x-flash-app.cfg -c "verify_image_checksum build/waf_bootloader-NoOS-NoNS-BCM943362WCD4-SDIO/binary/waf_bootloader-NoOS-NoNS-BCM943362WCD4-SDIO.stripped.elf"

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.8.0-dev-00139-g4dfe8d5-dirty (2013-08-22-12:22)

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.sourceforge.net/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'jtag'

trst_and_srst separate srst_nogate trst_push_pull srst_push_pull connect_assert_srst

adapter speed: 1000 kHz

adapter_nsrst_delay: 100

jtag_ntrst_delay: 100

Warn : target name is deprecated use: 'cortex_m'

jtag_init

Error: unable to open ftdi device: device not found

Runtime Error: ./WICED-SDK/tools/OpenOCD/stm32f2x-flash-app.cfg:10:

in procedure 'script'

at file "embedded:startup.tcl", line 58

in procedure 'init' called at file "./WICED-SDK/tools/OpenOCD/stm32f2x-flash-app.cfg", line 10

The FTDI device is not found, so more investigation got me to the following folder: ...WICED-SDK-3.1.1\WICED-SDK\tools\drivers\BCM9WCD1EVAL1_Drivers

I tried to run the dpinst and I got the well documented problem where the pop up windows is asking me to run the x64 version.

I thought dpinst was very specific for this type of installation and it cannot be exchanged randomly. I still gave a shot and used a dpinst (x64) stored on my computer (the one provided by Segger), I attached what I saw:

Screen Shot 11-21-14 at 03.53 PM.PNG

The installer is telling me: "The device driver installation wizard did not update any of your software for your hardware devices because it was not better than the software you currently have installed"

The driver names displayed by the dpinst (x64) are the following:

libusb-win32(libusb0) WICED Eval Board (07/24/2011 1.2.5.0)

FTDI CDM Driver Package - Bus/D2XX Driver (03/18/2011 2.08.14)

FDTI CDM Driver Package - VCP Driver (03/18/2011 2.08.14)

I am using FTDI driver for the BLE development with the WICED Smart SDK on the same machine, not sure if it would create some type of clash between drivers.

Last test was to plug the JTAG/Segger J-Link and I was able to build the application, load the target via JTAG and execute.

I still believer we should have a dpinst for x64 platform in the official release of the SDK. There is also something fishy with the FTDI driver that I could not figure out yet.

I will try to install the environment in Linux with VM and see the result. In the meantime I am using the download via JTAG.

Hi,

After plug in the BCM943362WCD4 evaluation board on the USB port, what are the USB Hardware Id "VID and PID" values?

For WICED they should be VID=0A5C PID=43FA.

Thanks,
Seyhan

0 Likes

This is what I have for the WICED USB Serial Port (Port 26):

FTDIBUS\COMPORT&VID_0A5C&PID_43FA

For the WICED USB JTAG port I have:

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_43FA&REV_0700&MI_00

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_43FA&MI_00

0 Likes

I think this issue is solved, I am suspecting the USB power supply in Windows. If I directly connect the EVB to the my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad) via USB cable **only** I "may" run into the issue described above (I am saying "may" because this evening I don't see the problem with a direct connection like on Friday, it is intermittent).

I tried two options described below with success, so I will stick with one of them for the future:

1) Use an external power supply 5V along with the USB cable.

2) Use a USB hub with the EVB with or without an external power supply (see the link for reference: Gear Head | USB Cables/Hubs).

I also find another way to install the WICED FTDI driver on a Windows x64 machine via our partner Inventek. If you go here:http://www.inventeksys.com/products-page/broadcom-2/ism43362-m3x-evb-e-wi-fi-evaluation-board/ there is a binary application called "eS-WiFi Demo". Download, install and run the application. You will see a white window similar to a serial console window. On top of the window there is a menu, if you go under:  "Menu" and select "Install Drivers" it will run a dpinst 64bit (in case your version of Windows is a 64 bits). You should see the following message:

"Installing 64-bit Serial-to-USB drivers"

Make sure to run the install of the driver with the EVB disconnected from the USB.

0 Likes