Program Data by USB

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am working on a project with the 5LP, where I need to semi-frequently change the "settings" on an application via  PC => USB => 5LP.

These setting are simply pure numerical integer data. The hardware can completely reset to receive the new settings if necessary.

I've experimented with a  bootloader/bootloadable system,  where the bootloadable runs the whole application with whichever data settings built into it.  However this feels kinda clunky, rebuilding and programing the whole application for just some settings changed.

I was wondering what other USB setups might work better?

Thanks for any advice!

ngohara

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

we enhanced the bootloader to allow a simple xml editing that is stored in flash/eeprom/extflash. the bootloader and app parse the xml for some simple parameter tuning (i.e. ip address, netmask, hostname, ....)

-Ed

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is this setup?

Use a second bootloadble that just writes to memory?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

we have a modified bootloader that includes some additional commands: readXML, writeXML, console ....

the actual bootloader then contains the code to save the XML to a storage. we usually have a small external flash that is used for other things. we reserve a block for the boot XML. you could modify to save to internal flash, external eeprom, external flash etc.

then we have a standalone bootloader program (j1UBL) that handles the extra commands and has buttons to edit the XML. The program then reads the XML from the psoc, allows editing, and writes it back to the psoc which then, in our design, saves it to the external flash.

-Ed

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

i embedded two images in the post above but don't see them ....

here they are as attachments

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

ngohara,

the standard way would be to upload new settings to PSoC (as a buffer or each value individually) using UART or USBUART and save it in EEPROM for further use:

http://www.cypress.com/forum/psoc-community-components/myeeprom-component-saverecall-application-set...

odissey1

0 Likes