BLE AlertNotification not working on CYBKIT-042 + PSoC BLE module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

BLE AlertNotification sample not working on CYBKIT-042 + PSoC BLE module.

I compiled it and downloaded it, it is broadcasting,

but Android 4.2 and 4.4 devices can't connect to it even though it can see the device.

On com port it says "Peer device doesn't support ANS".

I compiled and uploaded several other BNE_xxx programs, but not single sausage is working

with similar issues.

What gives?

All I want to do have a simple demo to turn LED on and off from an Android mobile.

(I intend to use the Arduino Bluethooth Android app to generate the on/off strings.)

It there is such a working demo sources out there (such as github) I go download it and get it working

just to get started with using the kit.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Min Android version is 4.3 and BLE hardware is needed. Probably a bit new for older phones.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that. Client is looking at the CYBKIT-042 + PRoC which is working with CySmart Android app and the Android 4.4. It does the capsense and color triangle LED demo without problems. And then I get told (more like hammered 🙂 ) with that demo to reproduce it with the CYBKIT-042 + PSoC. Any sources for that demo or something like it for the PRoC so I can just get it past immediate hurdles? Otherwise we loose an order.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Which way do you want to make the communication between the two boards which do not have got a radio like the BLE versions.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Not sure what that means. Too much of a noob.

The idea was that I have this simple Bluetooth app (Arduino Blutooth) that custom generates strings to send down a bluetooth link to turn lights on and off (plenty of demos on youtube using arduino modules doing this). So I was under the impression CYBKIT-042 + PSoC can do this. AlertNotification example seems to be designed to do a similar thing sending character codes which are then decoded and turned into LED activity. But its not connecting with Android 4.4. While PRoC demo does connect with the same Android 4.4 phablet (which indirectly implies hardware compatibility). The documentation carefully avoids describing PRoC and PSoC differences in small enough words to absorb details. Hence the visit here to get some insight to solve this demo example. If there are simple demos like this on github, I'm more than willing to download and try just to get something going.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

OK, I was irritated by the kit numbers you supplied. So you want to control some LEDs with ... whatever PSoC you need for that.

The Kit is named CY8CKIT-042 BLE

and consists of (just for the names) a -042 BLE Pioneer board and a PRoC dongle.

The pioneer board has got a PSoC4BLE chip which is equipped with a bit of internal hardware as Capsense, Timers, UDBs communication interfaces etc.

The PRoC BLE chip is equipped with only a very few internal hardware and has no CapSense which would be an easy interface to control the LEDs. For an initial prototype solution I would suggest to use two -042 BLE Pioneer boards. You can use the program sources for the dongle, the CapSense example, the LED control in a new mixture and program the two boards accordingly.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi Bob, A little misundertanding - the CYBKIT-042 BLE kit comes with pioneer board, PSoC BLE and PRoC BLE modules (and a dongle). Plugging in the PRoC BLE, the Cypress supplied Cysmart android app running on an Android 4.4 phablet works - the pioneer board LED and capsense items work OK and connects to control the LED for example as well as respond to the cap sensor. So I can control the PRoC BLE with my phablet. Now I want to program the PSoC BLE to the same or at least control the LED. AlertNotification is example software for this. So I compile it and download it to the PSoC BLE plugged into the pioneer board. All seems to go ok. Except Android phablet refuses to connect. Debugging the PSoC BLE through com port, I see the PSoC BLE has 'crashed' with message "Peer device doesn't support ANS". (The android app I plan to use is "Arduino Bluetooth" which can send customized strings to the PSoC BLE once it connects.) So really, I just need the simple AlertNotification example, or some similar example that works so I can flash an LED on the pioneer board from the phablet. Regards, Joe.   
0 Likes