Clocking a counter from LFCLK in psoc m

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnKa_1206521
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

Hi All,

I'm using creator 3.3 and a 4M target (CY8C4247LTI-M475). I don't get any option to use the LFCLK as a source in a new clock component (only HFCLK), and when I use 'existing' and connect to LFCLK the fitter complains that the counter clock input needs to be connected to a clock domain signal.

I feel like this might be something really stupid I'm missing but does anyone know how to do this? 

Ultimately I'm trying to count pulses on an input pin while in deep sleep. I guess there are other ways to do this, but it seems odd that I can't get schematic access to the LFCLK.

Anthony

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Anthony,

I have been trying yo set LFCLK to Timer in my PSOC 4 BLE, and i could not do this..., it is a problem, because in DEEPSLEEP HFCLK is shutdown, so i cant put my IC into DEEPSLEEP during long period....

I hope that someone can  give to us one answer

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is late but we are trying to implement the same thing. One possible solution is to use the WDT timers ( from the clocks tab in the cydwr page ) and set the mode to 'Periodic Timer'. How did you implement it ?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Take a look at this thread, try the idea suggested for routing LFCLK to

a pin, then instantiate an external clock ....

http://www.cypress.com/forum/proc-ble/counter-lfclk-deep-sleep-mode

Also pay attention to sleep tables (2) posted as well in thread.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Even your timer will not run in DeepSleep mode, only WDT will be active and running on LFCLK.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Here is a representative solution, see attached.

http://www.cypress.com/blog/psoc-sensei-blog/using-clocks-psoc-4

Note in deep sleep UDB counter will not run.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Here is the stuff that will run/not run in various sleep modes, attached.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
AnKa_1206521
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

Thanks all for the responses,

The schematic of the external pin routing is not quite what I meant, the LFCLK should be routed to the clock of the counter, not the count input. Regardless I can see now that the UDB blocks are only retained, not operational, in deep sleep, so will likely have to implement in firmware via interrupts anyway.

Anthony

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The clock input of a UDB counter is a synch clock for the count input.

From the datasheet -

Clock The functional behavior of the clock input differs for the fixed-function Counter compared
to the UDB Counter.

 For a fixed-function Counter, there is no count input. A fixed-function Counter
updates (decrements its internal counter) on every rising edge of the clock input.

 For a UDB Counter, both the clock and count input appear on the Counter symbol.
The clock is used to sample the inputs of the Counter component. The UDB Counter
is implemented as a synchronous counter that uses the clock input only as a
synchronization clock. All inputs of the Counter must be synchronized to the clock
input to avoid setup violations. This also makes sure that the edge-detect circuitry in
the UDB Counter implementation functions properly.

Count  In a fixed-function Counter, there is no count input on the Counter symbol. A FF Counter
updates its internal count on every rising edge of the clock input.
For a UDB Counter, the Counter updates its internal counter with an edge-detect logic to
determine an update event. The source signal for the update event depends on the clock
mode of the UDB Counter. The edge-detect logic is clocked using the clock input. Both
edges of the count input must meet setup to the clock input; therefore, the maximum
count input is one-half of the clock input frequency.

 For a UDB Counter in the Up Counter or Down Counter clock mode, the edge
detect logic detects the rising edge of the count input synchronous to the clock input.
Depending on whether the Counter is configured as an up counter or down counter,
the edge detect event on the count input increments or decrements the Counter,
respectively. See Figure 5 on page 25 for a functional description of the Up/Down
Counter.

 For a UDB Counter in the Count Input and Direction clock mode, the edge-detect
logic detects the rising edge of the count input synchronous to the clock input.
Depending on the whether the "upndown" signal is a 1 or a 0, the edge-detect event
on the count input increments or decrements the Counter, respectively. See Figure 7
on page 26 for a functional description of the Counter in Count Input and Direction
clock mode.

 For a UDB Counter in the Clock with UpCnt & DwnCnt clock mode, there is no
count input. The Counter update event is determined by a combination of the edge
detect logic on UpCnt and DwnCnt signals synchronous to the clock input. See
Figure 9 on page 28 for a functional description of the Counter in Clock with UpCnt
& DwnCnt clock mode.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes