Creating a component via code only, is it possible?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I come from programming applications and webpages using C# to helping with a psoc project. So in c# and such if needed i could create controls from code behind on the fly as needed.

Im looking to see if that is possible with PSoC 5LP dev kit or possible in PSoC at all.

We are working on a project that requires the other programmer to only use or my logic as he doesnt have much room / space within the memory we are using on the board or whatever, not sure as im not a PSoC person.

Im trying to help and got everything working, just need to see if i can accomplish the same thing in code only

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Yes, of course you may build software-only components. Indeed there are already some as the Software Transmit UART. The PSoC5 family is equipped with not too few memory and flash, so it might be sufficient for your project. Remember, there is a very cheap prototyping kit which includes facilities to program, debug and bridging to PC terminal programs.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have both kits amoung others we use. I guess my dilemma is that im doing a small portion of the logic which handles the button and led logic, then the main programming is being handled by the PSoC guys and they will take my code and merge it into theirs, so being that everything they are writing is all code and no help from the "TopDesign" from within creator, they asked that everything be written in software so they can port it over easily.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

This sounds like cutting the PSoC down to the pure CPU, so why using a PSoC? I am a software guy myself, but reducing the idea behind the PSoC concept to the barest never came to my mind. Of course you can (try to) program an USB interface in pure software but using CapSense buttons or even a (simple) ADC or DAC will not be possible without any hardware. Porting those components to ... well, porting to what? I would suggest you to ask your software guys whether they ever heard about "HDL" (Hardware Description Language) which (as software gurus) they should know and if they please would be so kind to generate some required hardware for you 😉

As a matter of fact the PSoC5 (3 and 4) have resources inside that can be programmed with HDL.

So, please tell a bit more: What do you want to port from which to what?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The good thing is i wont be doing the porting 🙂 im merely assisting with the simple logic, according to some of them, the logic im doing using PWM's and Clocks can be comparably done in code/logic without the use of the components, but seeing as im not a PSoC developer i cant really argue the point with them.

Ill continue down the path im on and see what needs to happen if they cant use what ive done.

0 Likes