Using HDMI in Cypress PSOC 4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is it possible to interface to HDMI in PSOC 4 ??

I have a CY8CKIT-049-42XX kit, is it possible to connect this to a HDMI transmitter chip that can in turn connect to a TV  ??

The project I am working on, needs a device that can be connected to a HDMI/VGA based projector, the projector would be used to display text and graphics. I know some PIC based projects that use VGA are there, but I am not sure how good the quality of the images would be like.

The other option I have (which I am trying to avoid) is a using a small computer like a beaglbone or raspberry..

I have seen some Android based HDMI dongles, but since the project is intended for use in a industrial environment I am not sure how the device would operate ....

thanks

a

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

HDMI 1.0 needs  165 MHz * 8 bit * 3 colors ~ 4GB/s which will be a bit too much for a 48MHz processor with 4KB of SRam.

Bob

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        As Bob Marlowe pointed out, it has to be interface between PSoC and HDMI. If you use Android dongle, you can install application named BlueDisplay, which accepts simple UART commands from PSoC and display them on the screen.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob & odissey1 for the information...I will look into BlueDisplay..

thanks

a

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
        If you ready to code in Verilog, there is $20 FPGA board which can output simple graphic directly to HDMI. http://www.fpga4fun.com/HDMI.html   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to use VGA with PSOC4 ?

I saw some sites which have demos of VGA output using AVR. Also one of PSOC 1. 

It should be possible with PSOC 4 and the CY8CKIT-049-42XX kit,I wanted to use the IDAC component (with appropriate shunt resistors), but  I can get only one component, so  I will be using the R-2R resistor network to generate the analogue voltage levels for the RGB colours.

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
        arbj, just wonder, have you tried BlueDisplay app? You can test run it on your phone with nearly zero programming efforts. As for programming HDMI/VGA you would have to develop your own graphic library, fonts... a ton of work...   
0 Likes