PSoC 5LP ADC delSig + Filter block

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Everybody,

I am trying to configure to use the low- pass filter with cutoff of 100Hz from a signal coming from a ADC DelSig. Sadly I am not getting the expected results.  Has someone some example of configuration to filter block?

PS: I know that the signal coming from is ADC( passing by DMA) is correctly because I already tested it.

0 Likes
32 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

What is it that you are expecting, and what is it what you are getting?

Did you try to use a buffer beween filter and ADC? How ist your ADC configured? Maybe post your complete project ("File/Create Workspace Bundle")...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I uploaded my project as you had said. I am just expecting a simple lowpass filter. I configured as a 4th Order, but it can be 1st Order. The cutoff were configured to 100 Hz. You can see all the configurations of ADC in the project that I uploaded.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I would consider increasing the sysclk frequency to 60MHz, that gives your interrupt handler some more processor time. 10k interrupts per second @ only 24MHz could be a bit tough.

Additionally I would suggest to use 4th or 6th order filter.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgive my ignorance, but were could I configure the system clock? The only places that I saw to change the clock were in the Filter block and in the ADC block.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

That is no ignorance. Open the .cydwr - file (where you can set the pins), click on the Clocks tab and double-click on one of the clocks. In the opening window set the PLL-out to 60MHz.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, understood. I will try it! Is there any other configuration that can cause problems in my project?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I didn't see any so far.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting a strange warning: Asynchronous  path(s) exist from "\ADC_DelSig:DSM\/dec_clock" to "CyBUS_CLK". Should I be worry about it?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I try a signal with 5Hz frequency the output signal from ADC is reduced greatly. Why is this happening? 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Difficult to guess, no more facts to work on? Workspace bundle??

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the minimal frequency that psoc 5 can deal with? I said that this was occuring with 5 Hz, but the ADC output gradually decrease starting from 15Hz to 1Hz. Above this value the output from ADC DelSig works as expected. The only thing that I changed since last time is that I set the master clock to 70MHz.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Daniel,

Which PSoC5 ADC? Delta Sigma or SAR?  Can you post your complete project, so that we all can have a look at all of your settings? To do so, use
Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
and attach the resulting file.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the project with the last changes.

0 Likes
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Daniel,

the filter's sample rate has to be the same as the ADC sample rate. I do not know what exactly you want to perform or what you change that doesn't work.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bob,

I was making some tests and I forgot to set the same sample rate, but even when they are the same value I got some problems.

I am trying to develop a system to capture EMG signals ( eletromiographic signals ). Since this project is just a prototype, I am not worried to use the real EMG signals yet. To simulate small signals I am using Vin = 50 mV (with 100mV offset) and I am setting the frequency in range of 1Hz to 200Hz. At the moment I wish to develop the lowpass filter, with cutoff = 100Hz, however when the frequency < 15Hz the signal coming from the ADC is reduced ( even before been processed by filter). The pin called "teste" is just to verify the signal from ADC.

Daniel.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

"however when the frequency < 15Hz" Which frequency??? The ADC can of course work with DC signals.

Your DMA looks a bit different from what I use, you set

CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(DMA_1_TD[0], 1u, DMA_INVALID_TD, DMA_1__TD_TERMOUT_EN);

DMA_INVALID_TD means afaik that when the TD finishes the channel is done (no next TD) and must be started again. I would suggest you to use the dame TD in a loop, thus

CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(DMA_1_TD[0], 1u, DMA_1_TD[0], DMA_1__TD_TERMOUT_EN);

same applies to the other DMA-channel.

Your ADC-reference should be buffered.

To compensate for offsets you should think about to use external VREF for OpAmp and connect to proband's body.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see any problem using the ADC converter with AC Signals.

The main structure of this project I took from the example from PSoC Creator, including the DMA configurations. To include the DMA_1 (the second DMA block) configurations, I used the DMA Wizard from PSoC Creator. I will take a look at these configurations, but I don't have pretty much knowledge about it.

Could you give some example about the buffered ADC-reference? It still not very clear for me.

Daniel.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Daniel, look into the ADC Datasheet for the explanation of the different VREF selections: Buffering needs a cap connected to a pin and ground and increases precision.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. So at first I would have to set to differential mode. Then I would have to configure the Vref to external on P0[3] or P3[2] pin. After that, I have to connect a capacitor to this pin and to the ground. All the other configurations I leave as they already are. Is that correct ?

I uploaded an image which I got from an example of Creator. Can you confirm that there they use the same principle of buffer on ADC? ( I did not understood the example for all)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I cannot see on a picture the internal settings of the ADC.

When using a CY8CKIT-059 a bypass capacitor is already mounted at P0_3, so you may select that.

On ADC datasheet just look at page 13 and additionally the footnote.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

This picture is from the Filter_ADC_VDAC example from Creator. I will upload the project.

I already had looked in ADC DelSig datasheet, but I was in doubt about when to use each configuration.

Let's suppose that the P0_3 was chosen and the desirable Vref = Gnd. Then may I just connect P0_3 to Gnd? (Considering that bypass capacitor is already mounted internally on P0_3). Making this that you have said is different from setting Vref=Vss(internal Gnd)? 

0 Likes
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

When I was talking about Vref and GND I was talking about the OpAmp, not the ADC. I mean

Configure the OpAmp to have as second input.

Do not tie P0_3 to Gnd!!! This is the internal Vref braught out to a pin to have it stabilized.

When you use a CY8CKIT-059 there is already a 1µf cap connected to P0_3!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, things become pretty much clear when I saw the Filter.jpg.
I think that I got the main idea. Now I am going to try these tips that you said. If the circuit still does not respond as expected I will ask for more help. Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are always welcome, Daniel!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made some tests I found where I was getting the wrong answer. I placed only the PGA and when the signal ( with offset ) had frequency < 20 Hz the output was getting pretty lower than expected ( gain=4, Vin = 100mV, Vout= NOT 400mV). I tried only Vref = Vss(internal) yet, but I think that even in this configuration It should works. Someone has some hint?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Do you place a capacitor to the input of your PGA? This will build a high-pass (and block DC) together with the input resistance of the PGA. Please show your complete external connections.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The VGA input is getting the raw input signal ( I am not using an external capacitor or a resistor for Vin).

Which value should I use for external capacitor?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Please post your project you used for the PGA test

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. I did the project just simpler as I could.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Where do your 100mV come from and what exactly do you measure at the output pin? What is your measuring device? Scope? Multimeter?

Fact is that the PGA within the PSoC usually works fine, there are no known issues.

Can you draw a map Input Voltage versus Output Voltage

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made more tests and I discover that the real problem (apparently) was the Scope I was using. When I changed it everything worked very good! Now the PSoC works as lowpass filter!

Thanks for all help!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Hurrrahhhh!!!!     ;-))

Bob

0 Likes