Is there a resource screen/indicator in creator?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, in designer there is a resource meter/indicator that will show all the used blocks digital / analog etc...but I have noticed in creator that I can add as many components as wanted (even way beyond the capacity of the PSOC) and it does not complain.  Is there a way to tell exactly how much resources you have left/available like you did in designer?
Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Resource meter does not seem to work.  I drop digital blocks in and it does not show up on the resource meter..even after a build.  What is the trick here?  Also, there is no error received when you exceed a block resource.  example...digital blocks available are 1 and I drop in 2 and there is no issue.  why?

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        If not used components are being "optimized out" during build process. Only actually used remain and being counted for macrocell, P-term and UDB blocs used, actual usage is given in report file (see *.rpt file in the bottom tab on the left pane), and now in Creator 3.3   
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Resource meter shows usage after a build. Reason are the optimization process odidday1 spoke of. Just dropping a component onto the schematic does not alter the resource meters.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Designer the Device Resource Meter reflects when you Drop a block in the sheet and instantly records the block used in real time.  This is far superior compared to what is offered in Creator.  In fact I am finding that Creator is not as robust as Designer.  Another question I will ask is ...Is Designer going to be expanded to include other PSOCs.. like 3, 4, 5?  If it will only support PSOC 1 then will PSOC 1 also include BLE, 8051, MO etc?  thank you

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

"Is Designer going to be expanded to include other PSOCs.. like 3, 4, 5?  If it will only support PSOC 1 then will PSOC 1 also include BLE, 8051, MO etc? "

Answer to that question is plainly: "No"

PSoC 1 family is very restricted compared to the other family members, so there it is quite easy to calculate the amount of needed resources for a component. Remember that you do not have something like gates or flip-flops or internal routable signals in a PSoC1.

You have inherent debug capabilities in the ARM cores which saves you an ICE-Cube, so imho a PSoC4 or 5 will always be my choice.

Bob

"

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob for the reply.  I will just focus on PSOC 3, 4, 5 projects going forward.  Much appreciated.

Steve

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Steve,

if it is not for the pricing at high volume rates, I would not use the PSoC3 but the PSoC5 instead.

The reason is: the CPU core which is an 8051 for the PSoC3, a design made in the '80. Compare that with an ARM M3 for speed, ease of use and performance as in the PSoC5.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it!!  Thanks again 🙂

0 Likes