how to process an image (using verilog) in PSoC 4?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im using PSoC 4 pioneer kit (4200 family). Im new to verilog programing. Can I process an image file in this board? Can someone guide me? 

Thanks!!

0 Likes
12 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Depends. How large is the image file, what do you want to process? Where does the image come from, where should it go?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm learning about it. How large it can support? I want to perform normal histogram equalization in it. I've that image in my computer. How can I dump my image in it?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

What verilog works on are the "UDBs", the CY8C42xx has got 4 of those, each 8 bits wide consisting of an ALU, some PLD area, 2 FIFOs, a 7bit counter and some registers. No memory or a path to access memory! Might be a bit difficult to process images. Even when using a PSoC5 which has got 24 of those UDBs.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying. Is there any procedure or default program to dump my image in board? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

PSoCs are embedded processors with additional analog and digital hardware. There is not much memory on a PSoC to store an image. This seems to be more or less a job for a RaspBerry.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bob, Again thanks for replying. How much memory does PSoC support? I've a 4kb image. Is it not possible to process this image too huh? Can you give me some idea for this. please. I've PSoC 4 board and Altera board. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I checked its datasheet. In that it is mentioned that it has 128KB flash and 16KB SRAM. Is there any way that i can use it for storing my 4 KB image?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I do not know your "Altera" board. So what you will need is an interface to get the image data. Your PSoC has got only 4Kb of SRam, so that will be pretty tight, look into datasheet. There are the new PSoC4-M  chips with more SRam, see the new development and prototype boards here and here.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to buy it. What is the interface used to get the image data? Should I convert it into hex ? 

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        Chase To make it short, PSoC is able to process images as much as crocodile can fly (it can, but very-very low).   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odissey, thanks for replying!
Is there any program or interface to load the image into it? 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You may choose from various interfaces one that fits to your image side. Not all (USB for instance) are avilable in a PSoC4, but fortunately there is a CY8CKIT-059 with a PSoC5 on it for a very reasonable amount of cash.

Selecting or building your interface and programming it will be your job, open programs or solutions will be a bit rare but you might find something in the net.

Bob

0 Likes