UART-USB example for CY8CKIT-049-42xx prototyping kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I downloaded the USB-UART example project from 100 Projects in 100 Days, got it built and programmed my CY8CKIT-049-42xx board (using the guide that's attached). In the guide (section 5.4.2) it says when this example is running it should mirror any text I enter, so if I type "hello" it shows up as "hheelllloo", and it does, but for the original project in 100 Projects in 100 Days (http://www.element14.com/community/message/75846/l/psoc-4-pioneer-kit-community-project04--usb-uart-...) it  also says pressing the reset button (or presumably unplugging it and replugging it into my USB port) should display the string "CY8CKIT-042 USB-UART" in the window. On my board it does not. This is troubling to me because I'd like to be able to use this sort of code to write print statements to Putty for debugging purposes. Why does it not display that string?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The underlying hardware is different from your CY8CKIT-049 and the CY8CKIT-042 as used in the second example.

Use for your -049 always the same pin-connections to address the on-board USB-UART bridge.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did "change the UART pin selection to P4[0] for RX and P4[1] for TX to align with the default pin connections
on CY8CKIT-049-4xxx" as recommended in the guide I attached. Is there something else I need to do in order to have the command "UART_UartPutString("CY8CKIT-042 USB-UART")" actually write that string to Putty? I have not made any external hardware connections.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Interrupts must be enabled. Use a CyGlobalIntEnable call.

Bob

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

When I tried your program on the CY8CKIT-049-42xx  and was able to duplicate your issue with no message at the start of the program. I moved the printout to the for loop and it printed every time. I then went to the original program on Element 14 100 Projects in 100 days #4 it prints the display when you press the reset button. When using the  CY8CKIT-042 PSOC 4 PIONEER KIT. I think that the CY8CKIT-049-42xx runs faster than the CY8CKIT-042 PSOC 4 PIONEER KIT and you don't see the information  One thing you could do is put the UART_UartPutString("CY8CKIT-042 USB-UART\n\r"); in a short loop to insure that it prints out.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't get it to work, so I decided to just use the Pioneer kit, which has full debug anyway. And that is working great.

0 Likes