Updating the firmware using an SD card in SPI mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jashc_1079216
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a PSoC5 that I wish to udpate the firmware in the field by inserting an SD card into the SD card slot.  This does not seem to fit the bootloader/bootloadable solution that Creator supplies inherently.  Do I need to create my own bootloader system to accomplish this?  

Thanks

James

0 Likes
7 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You do not need to re-invent the wheel. Use a "custom" bootloader and provide the few functions required for the bootloading process. SD cards usually use a windows format which would require something like emFile to access the data.

Bob

0 Likes

Are you suggesting that I use the bootloader/bootloadable that comes with Creator?  From reading the datasheets it appears that it requires some intelligence more than an SD card to be on the other end of the SPI connection or am I missing something.

James

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Are you suggesting that I use the bootloader/bootloadable that comes with Creator?

Yes, that was my idea, wouldn't be to complicated to emulate that.

Bob

0 Likes

I have researching some more and I see there is a bug in the current bootloader/bootloadable with eemprom.  We use that feature for storing machine calibration data.  It appears I do need to re-invent the wheel.

James

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Afaik it was not yet concluded if the bug was in the bootloader or in the eeprom component.

Bob

0 Likes
jashc_1079216
Level 1
Level 1

I guess it does not matter which component the bug is in; the two components do not play well with each other.

James

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

There was a workaround provided by Cypress: Have a look into this thread

Bob

0 Likes