I2S on Port 4 of PSoC 4200 mistake

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WeGa_288606
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hello, 

I have routed in layout/PCB an I2S microphone to PORT4 on a PSoC4 (4200 series). The fitter throws the error:

'SCK(0)' cannot be placed at P4[0]. P4 cannot be used for routed connections. (App=cydsfit)

In my search for this error I came across this Cypress Forum Discussion. After review of the reference section of the TRM I am feeling out of luck for my existing design but I must pose the question:

Is there a way around this other than the obvious disregard of existing hardware, redesign, and then ordering new boards?

Thanks, 

Wess

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Wouldn't help a build-before-order to see that the wanted layout will not work? You may place all your needed components into the topdesign sheet and see how to distribute functions and pins. So you have got time for the coding until the pcbs arrive.

Bob

0 Likes
WeGa_288606
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

We already have PCBs in hand. I am not up against resource issues I am up against a port restriction that I did not catch before layout. Per the TRM page 61: 

Port 4 and higher ports do not have the port adapter resulting in the following restrictions:

■ Cannot be routed through the DSI; thus UDB-based digital signals cannot be routed to the pins of these ports

■ No input/output synchronization

■ Cannot be used for analog blocks - SAR ADC, continuous time block - mini (CTBm) and low-power comparator (LPCOMP)

Essentially the fitter/router wont allow me to place I2S on the pins. Not automatically at least. Is there a manual way to get an I2S block to work on Port4?

Cheers,

Wess

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Sorry, but there is not even a chance to manually select a port4 pin to suit your needs. Only chance is a wire to another port soldered to an unused P4 pin.

Bob

0 Likes

Thank you Bob. Happy Holidays!

0 Likes