Problem PSoC Creator CY8CKIT-042

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a big problem with PSoC Creator. I want to program my CY8CKIT-042 to be able to use it with an alphanumeric LCD, LED and switches, but I know absolutely nothing about all the creation of the project. All I want is to write a code and build it in the card, but I can't. Is there a way to only write the code without creating some project ? Also, when I want to integrate a header file, it says that the file is untraceable, is that a problem from the installation ? I hope that you will help me because I must do it before the 15 January. Thanks for reading.

0 Likes
44 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

The LCD component  is a special library and produces a message do you want to run this data on your computer you must answer yes. That was why you got the errors. Did you change the jumper J9 on the board for 5 Volts? Did you check the wiring? Send me a new picture of the wiring do I can see if it is wired correctly. On my LCD module it worked with R/W grounded but on some of the LCD modules it must be connected.  If you are using the 6 wire LCD component you can't connect the R/W wire as there is no drive signal from the component library.  If you are using the Standard library component then it will drive the R/W signal.  I am going to look at the Data sheet for the part again and see if we missed anything.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Your second initialization code is nearly perfect. It is made for a 5V 4 bit interface. This will not quite work with your CY8CKIT-042. You will have to check and correct for using 3.3V initialization. Adapt that for using port 2 (or another free port)

Bob

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Alex both of the library components use HD44780 command set.  This device is not compatible with the HD44780. Also you do need the R/W signal according to the data sheet for the driver of the LCD.  Interfacing to an LCD device can be a real task. 

How about using the I2C interface with this code. http://www.newhavendisplay.com/app_notes/NHD-C0220BiZ.txt

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Alex Have you ever had this LCD working with any device like Arduino ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I don't know if it's all the DOG series or just the DOGM162, but the LCD isn't compatible with I2C. Also, now I know I won't complete the project today, but Monday, I return in class and I will continue working on that project with an Arduino that time. Bob Marlowe : in the Specifications made by the clients, they said that they want the LCD to be used in 5V SPI mode, though I'm already trying to use it in 5V 4 bit mode, I will have to use the SPI mode later so no 3.3V.

0 Likes