PSoC Programmer can't see 5LP KitProg from -059 board

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a KitProg that came with an -059 board. After a firmware update, Creator and Programmer don't see the KitProg anymore.

I've updated the KitProg firmware with the most recent KitProg.hex file using PSoC Programmer 3.24.0. That appeared to work but now Windows enumerates it as a Portable Device instead of a com port which it should be and was. It also shows up in the Universal Serial Bus Controller section as a USB Composite Device and a USB Mass Storage Device. This thing should be seen as a Com port...

The odd thing is that if you boot it with the reset switch closed to reprogram the firmware PSoC Programmer sees it just fine and will program it successfully but it cannot see it to actually use it after updating the firmware.

Definitely something wrong here.

So, I'm looking for the original KitProg.hex file for -059 board  -  Not the current KitProg.hex file that is listed in the Programmer directory (of couse I already have that one and it seems to be the problem.)

Or, is there some way to read the firmware out of the 5LP on a working KitProg board and then use it to reprogram the one that has the problem? So far, the only way I've found requires a .hex file...

Oh, BTW I also have a KitProg attached to an -043 board and it enumerates and works just fine so I don't think it's a computer issue (and I've tried the KitProg with the problem on another PC with the same strange results).

Thanks.

Jeff

0 Likes
5 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

I think PSoC programmer can also read back code from a PSoC. So if you have a working KitProg, you could try this.

But having it appear as two devices is maybe even OK. Kitprog now supports switching between mass storage programming and normal mode - see http://www.cypress.com/blog/psoc-creator-news-and-information/kitprog-usb-mass-storage-programmer-no... ) - maybe its just in the wrong mode?

I'm not sure if there are multiple version of theKitProg hardware out there - did you try the firmware from the -059 product page (http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-059-psoc-5lp-prototyping-kit-onb... )?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that is exactly what was 'wrong' with it... it was, in fact, in this new mass storage programming mode. I wasn't even aware that this new option existed. How it got in that mode is a mystery but, apparently at some point, I must have held the reset switch down on the target a few seconds too long with the KitProg still attached and accidently put it in that new mode. Pretty easy to do if you're not aware of the results.

You know, it seems to me that PSoC Programmer really should tell you in the Action/Results areas or on the status bar at the bottom of the window that the KitProg is in the mass storage programming mode because, as you can see, if a person is not aware of that new option, this is what happens. Things may 'look' broken when they really aren't. Do you have any pull with the devs to ask them to put some sort of notification in Creator and Programmer to alert a user to the fact that it's just in the 'wrong' mode instead of just not showing up at all?

Thank you for your accurate assessment and quick reply!

Jeff

0 Likes

Thanks everyone I just had this problem with the CY8KIT-059, I would add that it appears that the green status led breaths when in the mass storage mode and is constantly on when in the normal program mode.

Crusty

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Glad you got it working. Sometimes it pays off to read all the Cypress blog posts 😞

You could create a support case ('MyCases' in the top right menu) to notify Cypress of this problem.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I found the solution to my problem over here. Didn't know that mode existed. Now I can go back to debugging.

0 Likes