UART communication between PSoC 4 and PSoC 5LP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I was looking at the PSoC 4 ble and PSoC 5LP Catalogs inside PSoC creator 3.3, and even for the same protocol ( the UART), there are some differences in the schematics components and I am a little lost.

PSoC 5 has UART and USBUART, and PSoC 4 has UART( scb mode) and Software transmit UART.

What are the main differences and what should I use for the communication between the PSoCs (by USB cable directly linking them)?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

USBUART is a bridge between USB and the UART, easiest when you want to connect to a PC.

There are different versions of the UART implementation on PSoC5 a UDB version and a fixed-function version which resembles the SCB version of the PSoC4. The function of both are the same, APIs will differ a little bit. You are quite free, what to choose. When the very same codebase is needed, you will have to use the UDB versiuon which is available in PSoC5 and PSoC4 -42xx and -M versions.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

USBUART is a bridge between USB and the UART, easiest when you want to connect to a PC.

There are different versions of the UART implementation on PSoC5 a UDB version and a fixed-function version which resembles the SCB version of the PSoC4. The function of both are the same, APIs will differ a little bit. You are quite free, what to choose. When the very same codebase is needed, you will have to use the UDB versiuon which is available in PSoC5 and PSoC4 -42xx and -M versions.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I will make some tests and in case of need more help I will post more questions.

Thanks very much!

0 Likes