PSoC Creator Manual Pin Assigment

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

when developing a project in PSoC Creator, doesn't matter which one, It's common that we may have to choose the pins and ports. I know that depending on the component the PSoC Creator automatically assign a pin, for example the UART component has pre-defined Rx/Tx pins. But if I want to use a PGA, ADC, and others components, can I choose any pin that I want? Or should I only use the pins that hasn't anything pre-established (like OpAmp[1].vminus, or XTal.Xo, or any other)?

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        Daniel, Generally speaking, yes, one can use any pins. The limitations are specific, e.g. XTAL pins have (i believe) internal opamps; opamp direct inputs have lesser resistance and parasitic capacitance, USB D+/- will (likely) work only with pre-defined pins, etc. ... you have to read the fine print. Particularly, I recommend to inspect the dev board and schematic for any existing capacitors attached to the pins - that can really affect/limit your choices. There are also preferred ports for analog routing (#1 & #3), so the answer is testing, testing and testing....   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        Daniel, Generally speaking, yes, one can use any pins. The limitations are specific, e.g. XTAL pins have (i believe) internal opamps; opamp direct inputs have lesser resistance and parasitic capacitance, USB D+/- will (likely) work only with pre-defined pins, etc. ... you have to read the fine print. Particularly, I recommend to inspect the dev board and schematic for any existing capacitors attached to the pins - that can really affect/limit your choices. There are also preferred ports for analog routing (#1 & #3), so the answer is testing, testing and testing....   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Additionally there are some restrictions for PSoC4 - based chips as limited routing capabilities for ports >= 4 and the pins for the opamps.

Some pins have dedicated functions which you lose when choosing this pin for a different purpose.

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, understood! So It may be a good practice to take a look the pin descriptions and see if It has any bypass capacitor or additional circuit or It routing capabilities.

Thanks for the advice Bob Marlowe and odissey1!

0 Likes