Clocks, Timer, Tolerance and Accuracy Question

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been using a timer to use as a global clock for one of my programs and there seems to be a slight inaccuracy (about 0.08% lag) on the clock so I adjusted the period to match.

Here is a picture of my timer setup: http://i.imgur.com/AnSkywB.png (also attached)

For both clocks I set tolerance to unchecked. Does this make the inaccuracy worse or better? Will there always be inherent inaccuracy of the cypress timer in the kit? Is there a way that this accuracy can be improved?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The accuracy of the IMO can only be improved by using a crystal. IMO is +- 1%, releasing the clock accuracy only affects the timing checks, not the accuracy itself.

Bob

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Tom, 0.08% accuracy is remarkably good. The on-board oscillator stability over time is just slightly better than 0.1%, attaching a frequency meter shows  perpetual frequency jitter around the forth digit, which means that there is nothing to improve without XO as was mentioned by Bob Marlowe. 

0 Likes