ShiftReg Glitch

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm using the ShiftReg component but not as expected

there are some glitch on the output I do not understand..

Can somebody help me?

Regards

<code>

int main()
{   
    uint32 Current_Value = 0x884444;

ShiftReg_1_Start();
    ShiftReg_1_WriteRegValue((Current_Value<<2) | 0x2000001);

</code>

0 Likes
10 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

If you could tell what the signals in your screenshots actually mean, and what you expect them to look like, maybe we can have a guess.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

WriteRegValue() should be used only when the shift register is stopped and I cannot see any reloading.

You do not write into the FIFO from where it will be loaded with a "load" signal.

I cannot see any dependency from the rising edge of clock to the register output in your LA pics.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

I used the code example from the Shift Register Component Data Sheet 1.50, page 13 to initially load the shift register with a 26 bit value (0x3108889)

Then when I  press the push button I allow the clock to shit the value : after 26 pulse I stop the pulse train.

The aim is to send a predefined train of 26 pulses.

I do not understand why there is no correlation between P1_ (clock) and P1_4 (shift_out)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I do not understand why there is no correlation between P1_ (clock) and P1_4 (shift_out)

Neither I do, but I would try to concentrate on that.  Only dependency seems to be at the time of the glitch.

Because I trust such a simple device like a shift register I would suspect other sources for the issue.

Capacities on the output pins. What kind of board are you using? Cypress kit?? Which one???

• Logic analyzer connection.
  •     
  • Pushbutton spikes
  •     
  • Others...
  •    

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Bob,

I'm using a CY8CKIT-049

​I had a Pulse Converter and a latch to avoid Push Button spikes...

To see a bit better I increased the sample frequency to 200 MHz and saw much more.

Something is thwarting the output signal

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I suggested some corrections, did you implement them? attach latest project archive, please.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob

I found my problem, The malfunctioning output were connected to another board with conflicting output. I disconnect them and now everything is OK, Sorry for not checking that before.....

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are always welcome!

A tip that easily pays: Get a CY8CKIT-043 PSoC4-M Prototyping Kit. No bootloader required, debugging capabilities, DMA and more sram for few money.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks fine , I will buy one....

Best Regards

0 Likes
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

The most important thing is that the "q" output of the "TFF" component cannot be used for a clock input for other components directly in PSoC 4.

GS003271.png

In this schematic, you are expecting the "TFF" component divide the 1MHz clock to generate a 500kHz clock.  Actually a clock can be generated from a "TFF" output in PSoC 3 and 5LP.  But clocks can be generated only from a HFCLK and clock dividers in PSoC 4.  In other words, TFF cannot be used to generate a clock.

Following is a synthesis detail of a bit of Shift Register from the RPT file generated by PSoC Creator.

LIST-1

[McSlotId=2]:     MacroCell: Name=Net_859_3, Mode=(T-Register) @ [UDB=(0,0)][LB=0][MC=2]

Total # of inputs        : 6

Total # of product terms : 2

List of special equations:

Clock  = (Net_962_digital) => Global

Clock Enable: PosEdge(Net_928)

Main Equation            : 2 pterms

(

!Net_852 * Net_519 * Net_859_2 * Net_859_1 * Net_859_0

+ Net_852 * Net_859_3

);

Output = Net_859_3 (fanout=4)

Properties               :

{

}

In line 05, it is described that a global signal Net_962_digital is used as the clock input.

LIST-2

<CYPRESSTAG name="Global Clock Selection" icon="FILE_RPT_TECHM">

Digital Clock 0: Automatic-assigning  clock 'Clock_1'. Fanout=5, Signal=Net_962_digital

Fixed Function Clock 2: Automatic-assigning  clock 'UART_1_SCBCLK'. Signal=\UART_1:Net_847_ff2\

The Net_962_digital is the output of the clock "Clock_1"  The "TFF" output is not connected to the clock input.

Instead of connecting the 500kHz clock, it is described in line 06 of the "LIST-1" that a clock enable input is used to detect the positive edge of the Net_928 signal.  There is a one clock delay to detect the Positive Edge, so the timing of the Shift Register may be different from other logics.

Please consider to use a single clock domain.

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes