will SDK ever support more than 4 simultaneous connections?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Presently, using SDK 2 allows us 4 simultaneous connections max.

Does Broadcom plan to increase this?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Please check a4wp_power_transmitter sample for the way to deal with multiple slaves.  When you want to send data to a specific device or disconnect a specific device you should call blecm_SetPtrConMux with an HCI handle of the specific connection.  This handle is passed to the application at the time connection is established (connection_up).

View solution in original post

12 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

With SDK 2.0.1 and the 20736S and 20737S modules, the default is 4, but we can support up to 8:

APPLICATION_INIT()
{
    extern void blecm_setmaxconnection(UINT8 num);

// Set the max number of connections to support to 8.
    blecm_setmaxconnection(8);

bleapp_set_cfg( application_gatt_database,  sizeof(application_gatt_database), (void*)&application_profile_cfg,     (void *)&blemultislavelb_puart_cfg, (void*)&application_gpio_config, application_create);

}

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to force a specific peripheral to disconnect from a central device when multiple peripherals are connected to a central device?

There seems only to be blecm_disconnect(BT_ERROR_CODE_CONNECTION_TERMINATED_BY_LOCAL_HOST), but how is the peripheral specified? I have tried using emconinfo_setConnHandle(), and this seems to work sometime but other times emconinfo starts returning bogus data for the other peripherals.

Can you provide some pseudo-code to show how this "should" be done?

0 Likes

I have created a case internally and asked one of the developers to respond.

0 Likes

Please check a4wp_power_transmitter sample for the way to deal with multiple slaves.  When you want to send data to a specific device or disconnect a specific device you should call blecm_SetPtrConMux with an HCI handle of the specific connection.  This handle is passed to the application at the time connection is established (connection_up).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is up to 8 supported by SDK 2.0.0? When I set blecm_setmaxconnection(8) and try to connect a fifth device, I never get a connection up (BLECM_APP_EVT_LINK_UP) callback for the fifth device.

0 Likes

That should work.  Are you sending advertisements in your app.  Please try to remove all the calls to bleprofile_Discoverable.  There was a bug in 2.0 fixed in the 2.1 which can leak a connection block when advertisements are restarted while connection is up.  I wonder if this is hurting your application.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response.

I think your comment above about removing bleprofile_Discoverable() helped with the disconnect problem I had before.

WRT to simultaneous connections, I was calling blecm_ConMuxInit(8) thinking I was calling blecm_setmaxconnection(8). Fixed that and can connect a fifth and sixth device, but I stop receiving Advertising Report callbacks after the sixth device. It seems that six is the limit with SDK 2.0.0 then?

0 Likes

If you are calling correct function passing 8, it should be 8 connections. Unless you are doing advertisements as well. Sending advertisements takes a connection because stack needs to be ready to accept connect request.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still not seeing eight. Previously had been using four, and when I called blecm_setmaxconnection( 8 ), I was able to connect to six, which suggests that I am calling the correct functions with the right parameters. I had already commented out my call to bleprofile_Discoverable(). Are there any other settings that might affect the connection count?

Is there a sample app available? The central examples provided in SDK 2.0 show example connections to either two or four devices only.

Thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

found that the following BLE_CEN_CFG settings needed to be bumped up in order to enable 8 simultaneous connections:

blecen_cen_cfg.high_conn_min_interval = 8;  //frames
blecen_cen_cfg.low_conn_min_interval = 8;  //frames
blecen_cen_cfg.high_conn_max_interval = 8; //frames
blecen_cen_cfg.low_conn_max_interval = 8; //frames

Thanks for your help

Hi Victorz,

What about the non-connectable advertisement? Will it also allocate one mux that reserving for connection?

0 Likes

I am pretty sure non-connectable advertisement do not reserve the connection.