Help with Warning: "Asynchronous path(s) exist" (clocks)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaJa_1553636
Level 3
Level 3
First like given

Hi,

I start having these warnings when I compile my project. I think I understand what they mean (that the delay in the data may be too large and the clock will arrive too early and clock in garbage) but I don't understand how they relate to my design. It is not obvious to me where to look and what to fix.

Project name is SystemController and I have two clock components (CPU_CLK and CPUCLK_FAST) that I use to clock an external Z80 uP. The fast clock is in Mhz, the slow clock is 100Hz.

Static timing analysis ...

Warning: sta.M0021: SystemController_timing.html: Warning-1350: Asynchronous path(s) exist from "CyBUS_CLK" to "CPUCLK_FAST(routed)". See the timing report for details.

Warning: sta.M0021: SystemController_timing.html: Warning-1350: Asynchronous path(s) exist from "CyBUS_CLK" to "CPU_CLK(routed)". See the timing report for details.

Warning: sta.M0021: SystemController_timing.html: Warning-1350: Asynchronous path(s) exist from "CPUCLK_FAST(routed)" to "CPU_CLK(routed)". See the timing report for details. 

Warning: sta.M0021: SystemController_timing.html: Warning-1350: Asynchronous path(s) exist from "CPU_CLK(routed)" to "CPUCLK_FAST(routed)". See the timing report for details.

Although these do not seem to be critical at the moment, I would like to fix them.

Any hints or suggestions would be most welcome.

Marc

0 Likes
2 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

I suggest to add ClockSync component to 100Hz clock to sync the clocks from different domains.

0 Likes
MaJa_1553636
Level 3
Level 3
First like given

Ah, I missed that one. Will try thanx.

0 Likes