SPI Master access too slow

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use the SPI Master v2.5.

I have to read data from external RAM via SPI. I measured the time to write to internal SPI Master register like SPIM_1_WriteTxData(Adress>>16),

where SPIM_1 is the SPI Master. This access takes ~3.5µs, writing direct data like SPIM_1_WriteTxData(0x64) takes ~3.3µs. That means at 48MHz clock ~175 clock cycles.

Is there any way to speed up the register access? Is it better to directly write the SPI registers without using the API? Or is there something else I missed?

Amin

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The datasheet lists 18MHz as max clock (see AC characteristics)

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

You can use DMA to write the data into the TX FIFO. That way no software overhead occurs.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

to extend hli's comment:

... when using a PSoC4-M which has got DMA

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The device has no DMA and the SPI Hardware is fast enough (8 MHz). The problem is the software access to the SPI. I changed the access to direct register access and so the time for writing to the TX register in the SPI is reduced  to 600ns, still 30 clock cyles.

The assembly code is:

//76:   CY_SET_REG8(SPIM_1_TXDATA_PTR, SPIFLASH_READ_CMD);
0x0000040C ldr    r3, [pc, #68]    ; (478 <CYDEV_STACK_SIZE+0x78>)
0x0000040E movs    r2, #3
0x00000410 strb    r2, [r3, #0]

I would assume it should take only 5 cycles. Is it the case that the accesses to peripherals use the APB bus and not the AHB lite bus and so each access takes more cycles?

Are there other options to speed up the access?

And one other question. If I want to modify the SPI Hardware to my needs, can I use the exiting SPI (as verilog file) or do I have to write the code from scratch? If not where can I get the verilog code of the existing SPI model?

Amin

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Search for the .v files under the creator folder. Do no need to start from scratch.

What do you need the (very) fast access for? No time??

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I will check the .v files . I have to read out up to 4 audio wav files from external flash memory and mix them together without additional sram for buffering. Maybe I change to a device wih DMA unit.

0 Likes