Using UART to send characters to putty

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I am using the CY8CKIT-042-BLE pioneer kit. I am trying to use the UART component to send characters to a putty terminal on my desktop computer. I have the UART configuration correct on both sides (baud rate, etc.) but I never get any characters in my putty window. I have attached my simple project. Can you please help me?

0 Likes
1 Solution
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Amanda: If you are using a CYkit you must look at the schematic of the kit.  This can be found in your windows program directory under Programs X86/cypress/ the Cykit name and then the revision number and then hardware directory and then the Schematic.pdf. This is necessary as some of the pins are not usable due to the design of the CYkit.  As far as the API for the components you need to read the data sheet for the part you are using and then select the correct code for what you want to do.  If you are using and SBC uart it has so many API's that it can be confusing to the new users. That is why I like the software UART as it doesn't have that many API instructions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Amanda!

Use pin 1_5 for Rx and pin 1_4 for Tx.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob. Thanks for your quick reply!

PSoC Creator would only let me select the reverse -- 1_4 for Rx and 1_5 for Tx. I'm still not seeing any characters in my putty window. I've attached the updated workspace.

Thanks, Amanda.

0 Likes
lock attach
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Amanda: Well Bob was right about the pins however I found some issues with the API code in both projects.  I have fixed the issues and I am sending  the program back to you for you to study.  I am running PSoC Creator  3.3 SP1 (3.3.0.7343) and I have updated the components to that level. I tried both of the programs and they worked with my Putty.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

bobgoar: Thank you so much for your help! With your changes, the program is working for me. Is there documentation that I should have been using to figure out which pin to use, which API calls to use, or the differences between the various UART components? If so, can you point me to it? Thanks!

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Amanda: Have you verified that putty is using the,correct com port? Load device manager and see what com port is active when you plugin the Psoc Ble pioneer board the unplug the Pioneer board and make sure it disappears from the list then setup putty for that port number. I was not aware that you had two projects in your file. I fixed both of them. I also changed the Sbc-UART to a software UART in the first program. I like that component better if I am just transmitting data to putty as it is simple to use. In the second program I used a internal generated clock instead of the external clock source and set the baud rate to the same as the first one 115200 baud.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Amanda: If you are using a CYkit you must look at the schematic of the kit.  This can be found in your windows program directory under Programs X86/cypress/ the Cykit name and then the revision number and then hardware directory and then the Schematic.pdf. This is necessary as some of the pins are not usable due to the design of the CYkit.  As far as the API for the components you need to read the data sheet for the part you are using and then select the correct code for what you want to do.  If you are using and SBC uart it has so many API's that it can be confusing to the new users. That is why I like the software UART as it doesn't have that many API instructions.

0 Likes