Use BCM920737TAG as host device

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys.

I am a novice to bluetooth technology and BLE even more. I have two evaluation boards from BRODCOM: BCM920732TAG and BCM920737TAG. I need to evaluate the connection time of the master with slave and current consumption.

Tell me, can I use BCM920732TAG board as slave device and BCM920737TAG board as master (host) device, establish a connection between them? I assumed and used WICED-Smart-SDK-1.1.0 and the example hello_sensor for BCM920732TAG board and WICED-Smart-SDK-2.0.1 and hello_client for BCM920737TAG board. However, how to verify that two boards are connected and the client sends data to the master I do not know.

How right thing to do in my case? How to make sure that the device was paired?

Is there a ready example in SDK-2.0.1 of working BCM920737TAG board in master (host) mode?

Thanks

Best regards, Andrei

0 Likes
1 Solution

> Is there a ready example in SDK-2.0.1 of working BCM920737TAG board in master (host) mode?

hello_client is that sample.

> can I use BCM920732TAG board as slave device and BCM920737TAG board as master (host) device, establish a connection between them?

Yes. Use hello_sensor sample app on 20732 and hello_client sample app on 20737. You might want to set some known BD_ADDR and enable traces on both devices. Use a console app like teratarm/hyperterm/putty to log the traces from both devices. When they connect each other, they will both print the BD_ADDR of the peer device and that is how you know for sure that these two devices connected.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The Hello_Client Example in SDK 2.0 leverages the TAG3's onboard 20737 acting as a master communicating with the Hello_Sensor application.  This is a great starting point for a Master/Slave scenario.

I will ask a colleague to respond regarding how to verify that the master and slave are connected.

0 Likes

> Is there a ready example in SDK-2.0.1 of working BCM920737TAG board in master (host) mode?

hello_client is that sample.

> can I use BCM920732TAG board as slave device and BCM920737TAG board as master (host) device, establish a connection between them?

Yes. Use hello_sensor sample app on 20732 and hello_client sample app on 20737. You might want to set some known BD_ADDR and enable traces on both devices. Use a console app like teratarm/hyperterm/putty to log the traces from both devices. When they connect each other, they will both print the BD_ADDR of the peer device and that is how you know for sure that these two devices connected.

Note that the traces coming from the 20737 will be encoded, so standard terminal emulation programs will not work.

On the SDK 2.0/20737 side, you will need to run the Eclipse Trace plugin which is provided within the Windows based IDE.

Trace menu is not seen in Wiced IDE