Opamp: 5A DC current sampling  with 0.01ohm resistor

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to examine the DC current(range form -5A to 5A) on a user-circuit Vss wire using SARADC and Opamp components of "CY8C4247 /PSoC 4", the attachment is the demo circuit.
R0 equals 0.01ohm.

Since the difference voltage between Vi+&Vi- is small(50mv under 5A condition), with Opamps to amplify the voltage difference of ADC differential input ADC_in+&ADC_in- by 19.18times(gain=19.18). I wonder if this application would work properly?

signals Vin+&Vin- equals SARADC channel1 input+&input- in schematic demo2.

thx a lot

0 Likes
6 Replies
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm now testing the circuits with schematic below, the single-ended opamp works all right(596mv/47mv=12.68).

The common mode differential opamp circuit only has a gain of approximately 2(96mv/47mv), I wonder what might be wrong.

the opamp config circuit and resistors is positioned outside the chipboard with flying wires.

0 Likes
lock attach
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

For OPAMPs required offset.
Apply a shunt sine voltage - you will be easier to see the problem.

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx. I see that I configured the OPAMPs circuits worngly without applying a offset voltage circuit.

But when I tried to apply a shunt sine voltage, here's a new problem:

Since the 10ohm sampling resistor is connected to the OPAMPs upon a DC circuit, without isolating capacitors (AC circuit),the offset voltage circuit would not work properly as shown in test1.

I could directly connect R0 differential output to SARADC without OPAMPs ,this would work all right but the range is too small([-50mv, 50mv]), while ADC differential sampling range is [-1.024v, 1.024v].

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

The test circuit below on the left side works all right, since R0 provide a voltage bias itself of VDD/2.

So I configured the circuits on the right side(condition 1 and condition 2) would work in my application, but since R0 only has a voltage difference of 50mv max(Ibus=5A), so the precision requirement of the 4 bias resistor value would be very strict(1% * 5v=50 mv would cover the R0 voltage). I wonder if this would work, or there's other better solution.

0 Likes
lock attach
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

Scheme assumes that the shunt circuit is isolated from the PSoC power.
Otherwise, you need to include a shunt in the feedback loop.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear,

no matter whether it works or not I would always suggest using a current shunt amplifiert with a high input voltage acceptance and a desired amplification. This is the best way to be sure that you'll not destroy the CPU..

0 Likes