How does CyBle_GenerateRandomNumber() get its seed?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JaEd_1453761
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

I am trying to use the CyBle_GenerateRandomNumber() function and it always returns the same values.  This is typical of a random generator function but usually there is a function to provide a seed but I cannot find any such function.  How does this function get its seed?  I can live with the device producing the same list of random numbers but I need to know that each separate device will be different.

0 Likes
1 Solution
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Why not using the rand() library function? You can initialize it via srand(), using the current value of the SysTick timer (see http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/using-systick-timer-psoc-4-kba91374 ). Call srand when your BLE pairing happens since this is a random point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Why not using the rand() library function? You can initialize it via srand(), using the current value of the SysTick timer (see http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/using-systick-timer-psoc-4-kba91374 ). Call srand when your BLE pairing happens since this is a random point in time.

0 Likes
JaEd_1453761
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

I cannot wait until BLE pairing because I need the random value immediately on first boot which happens at our manufacturing facility on a test stand.  In this environment, I am not sure how good the SysTick method would work since the timing would be very much the same from unit to unit.  I have also investigated using die temperature, ADC counts of battery, etc. but again during test all of these are likely to be the same.  Essentially on boot I will check a SFLASH location for this ID value and if it has not been set then I will generate the random number and write it to SFLASH.  I was hoping someone from Cypress would chime in with some information about how that function works.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I was hoping someone from Cypress would chime in

At top of this page select "Design Support -> Create a Support Case" and describe your problem.

Alternate solution: There is an API to get the unique chip ID. Use that directly or use it to seed the randomizer.

See "System Reference Guide" (from Creator Help)

void CyGetUniqueID(uint32* uniqueId)
Description:
Returns the 64-bit unique id of the device
Parameters:
uniqueId: Pointer to a two element 32-bit unsigned integer array.
Return Value:
Returns the 64-bit unique id of the device by loading them into the integer array pointed to by uniqueId

Bob