Custom board bringup (CY8C5888LTI-LP097 chip)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Folks,

I created a small PCB 1"x1" with the CY8C5888LTI-LP097 (68pin QFN) chip.  The original board worked except the JTAG connector didn't have the VTarget pin connected so I would use a jumper connected between the PCB and programmer, but other than that it worked fine.

Like any engineer I decided to improve the design, expose more of the pins, add the ability to put a crystal on the board and tie the Vddd power to the JTAG connector.  Unfortunately the new board will not be recognized by PSoC Creator 3.2 when trying to program it.  (It doesn't even show up in the target list, no matter if I select external or 5v power or SWD/JTAG or the various speed settings.)   (I tried about 5-6 boards so far and think I can rule out soldering issues, there are no shorts but the chip does get a little warm.)

I'm hoping this jogs someone's mind of a similar problem. 

thanks,

Bob

0 Likes
10 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

What is your debug configuration? Does the MiniProg3 (I'm assuming that this what you use as programmer) provide power to the target? Maybe you should try to use external power to your port and use the "reset" programming mode.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback.  I tried external power (5v) and also tried having the programmer provide the power. No luck.  

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Which programmer are you using? The MiniProg3 cannot, AFAIK, do JTAG programming (only SWD). And the connections are a little bit different, and it might be that JTAG has been disabled for this chip.

Have a look at the PSoC5LP programming specification. It has some more hints about how the connections need to be (e.g. all Vdd pins tied together, and watch for the correct XRES pin).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks again for the response.  The board I am working on is a revision of the previous one that programmed fine with the MiniProg3 and you are correct I'm using the SWD communication setting with the board.  

The difference between the two boards are VTarg tied to Vddd on the revised board, additional caps put on output lines (per the design document) and adding XTAL and the two caps there.

(I did have to repour the two ground polygons under the chip.)

thanks,

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I think we could be more precise with our suggestions when you provide us with a schematic of your board.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay. Please see attached.

thanks to both of you guys,

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

My crystal ball says that either your Vdd handling is wrong or you did not handle the programming wires correctly. As Bob pointed out, the schematic would be needed.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Just checking to see if anyone had a suggestion after viewing the schematic uploaded last week.

thanks,

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is probably two weeks to late but what analog supply voltage did you supply on VDDA? I would have expected to see it tied to VDDD in your design.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

All Voltages (VDDD and VDDA) are tied to 5v on the carrier board that this PCB plugs into.

Note, for programming does VDDA need to be powered?  (I have Vtarget tied to VDDD at the programming header, so there might be a chance VDDA is unpowered in some of my tests, but doubt it was unpowered for all tests.)

thanks for replying. this is still an open issue for me.

0 Likes