Using the 059 kitprog with CY8CKIT-049-42XX

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

I recently bought some of the 049 kit for a school project but it appears that I'll need debug features. So i bought also one 059 kit with the snappable kitprog to use it to program/debug the 049. I searched how to do it but i don't find the information anywhere... Do we only have to put 5 cables from the kitprog J7 headers (SWDIO, SWDCLK, RST. GND, VTARG) to the pins on the 049 kit (Pins 3.2, 3.3, reset, gnd, vdd) 

Also, do we need to change something in the project of the 049?

Thank you!

0 Likes
15 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Anthony!

Do we only have to put 5 cables from the kitprog J7 headers (SWDIO, SWDCLK, RST. GND, VTARG) to the pins on the 049 kit (Pins 3.2, 3.3, reset, gnd, vdd)    Not quite... Connect the 5 signals from the Kitprog to the 5 Signals on the lower right hand corner (USB pointing left) Signals are clearly marked on silk screen. Best is to solder 5 posts on both boards and use a ribbon cable with plugs on either side.

(...) do we need to change something in the project of the 049? Yes, hopefully you are on Creator version 3.3, remove the Bootloadable component and any references in main.c

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I connected both with the 5 wires, updated my kitprog firmware, but each time i click on program the 49 kit, the window select debug target appears with the kitProg in the list but i can't program it..?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Please report the state of the LEDs (Kitprog) The green LED should light permanently. if not, press switch on Kitprog for ~5s until green LED lights up.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The green LED is on. It still works when i put the cable on the 059 kit, but it seems that the progkit can't see the 049 kit..

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! I took some pictures of the connections i made. There is also a picture of the select debug target showing no psoc connected to the kitprog.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

No idea of what can be wrong?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

No idea. Can you scope / la the signals.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

• Does the Power LED of the 049 kit light up? (Assuming that you still have the UART-Bridge connected there, if so use a DMM) If not, you target board is not powered .
  •     
  • Can you connect (and program) to the 059-board you snapped the KitProg of?
  •     
  • You might need to update the KitProg firmware (this is explained in the KitProg user guide)
  •     
  • You can also try to use PSoC programmer. There you can select different programming methods (e.g. XRES / Power cycle). I'm not sure whether the SWD pins on the PSoC4 device are enabled by default, so it might be that you need another configuration than the default.
  •    
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the Power LED of the 049 kit light up? ->  Yes, i have one 049 board snap that still do the blinking LED (bootloadable project) when connected. The one that are not snapped show the power LED.

Can you connect (and program) to the 059-board you snapped the KitProg of? -> Yes

You might need to update the KitProg firmware (this is explained in the KitProg user guide) -> Already done

I have tried with programmer, but still doesnt detect the 049 kit... Is it because there is still a bootloadable/bootloader project loaded on the kit ?

Thank you!

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

No, the bootloader should not make a difference. When using PSoC Programmer, did you try different programming methods ('Reset' / 'Power cycle')? (According to the TRM 'Reset' should be fine, but you never know...).

If this still doesn't help, you should open a support case (Top right menu, 'MyCases').

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't try to program. The kitprog doesn't see the 049 kit.. I think i will open a case with support ! thank you for your help!

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Please let us know what the solution is to that. Thanks!

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

I had this problem with a cable length of 20 cm.
I just shortened the cable to 8cm.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Thank you all! I contacted the support and told me the same thing as Pavloven. I was using 20cm cable and change it to ~ 10 cm cable and everything is working fine! Thank You !

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was a good tip; I've used the CY8CKIT-049-42xx together with the KITPROG from an CY8CKIT-059, but I wasn't able to program the 42xx board. My cable was about 40cm long. Now it's just 5cm long, and all works fine!

0 Likes