Interface PSoC4BLE with SiliconLabs EFM32 WonderGecko

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

i am looking for some advise on my system design. Here is my situation:

I have a Silicon Labs WonderGecko aquiring data from an accelerometer, temperature sensor and heart rate sensor. This sensor data is processed in the WonderGecko. My goal is to send the data to a Smartphone using the PSoC4 BLE as BLE interface. So i have the PSoC4 BLE here and i wonder how to interface the PSoC4 BLE and the WonderGecko in the most energy efficient way. Would you suggest transferring the sensor data between the two controllers via I2C or UART?

I also need to send control data from the Smartphone back via the PSoC4 BLE to the WonderGecko and i want to be able to do an over-the-air firmware update on the WonderGecko as well as the PSoC4 BLE. 

I know, thats a lot of features, but is it possible? And are there any demo applications on how to use the inter-chip communication efficiently and in general, on how to use the PSoC4 as a simple network processor for BLE?

You might say now, that i should just use the PSoC4 BLE and drop the secondary processor, but thats not possible due to our companys development agenda.

So please, help me in starting to use the PSoC4 BLE as a processor "just for the BLE connection" in my design.

Thank you so much,

Patrick

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Patrick!

Regarding the communication between the PSoC BLE and the WonderGecko:

I2C has a bus master, so you will have to poll at the master side (PSoC) if there is a message ready from slave. Polling costs energy.

UART can be set up bi-directional and you may disable the component and Hi-Z the pins at need to save energy.

For the over-the-air update there are example projects available, just search at top of this page, but be warned: It might take some precautions (EEProm/Ram) to make it foolproof not leaving the customer with a non-functioning device caused by a broken connection.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Patrick!

Regarding the communication between the PSoC BLE and the WonderGecko:

I2C has a bus master, so you will have to poll at the master side (PSoC) if there is a message ready from slave. Polling costs energy.

UART can be set up bi-directional and you may disable the component and Hi-Z the pins at need to save energy.

For the over-the-air update there are example projects available, just search at top of this page, but be warned: It might take some precautions (EEProm/Ram) to make it foolproof not leaving the customer with a non-functioning device caused by a broken connection.

Bob

0 Likes