Interested in using Broadcom’s Windows stack for Windows 7?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

If you are interested in using Broadcom’s BTW (Bluetooth for Windows) stack for Windows 7, you will first require a Broadcom-based BT dongle, such as several I found that are available on Amazon (make sure that it says Broadcom or WIDCOMM somewhere in description or reviews):

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Bluetooth-Adapter-Windows-Compatible/dp/B009ZIILLI/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp...

http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM20702-UtechSmart-Bluetooth-Compatible/dp/B00DDH4TYA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1...

Once you have a Broadcom based dongle to use, you can download the latest software here:  http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php.

When you install the software, make sure you disable any non-Broadcom based radio you have running on your PC or you will encounter errors (the software looks for a Broadcom radio).

When you install the software, the required DLL and drivers needed for BLE applications will be installed for you.

You can then use the samples provided in the WICED Smart SDK to learn how to access the BTWLEAPIs.

For example see WICED-Smart-SDK\Apps\RAM\hello_sensor\HelloClient\Windows. This includes a project, a header file (btwleapis.h) and some classes that are useful for developing Windows based applications.

The btwleapis.h header file is actually pretty well documented as well.

0 Likes
15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Bitmap Image.bmp

I have downloaded setup tool from here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php.

But the section of detecting bt device was failure, it need to start microsoft bluetooth stack.

How can I solve this issue?

0 Likes

I'm assuming you are trying to install the BRCM drivers with the BCM20702 based dongle which ships with the BCM920732  Eval board.

If this is the case, try the Plugable drivers here: Plugable USB-BT4LE Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter for Windows and Linux PCs | Plugable

If you search on 'plugable' you will find a few posts where other uers were having similar problems.

In future revs of the Tag board, we will not be shipping a dongle.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have downloaded installer from : Plugable USB-BT4LE Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter for Windows and Linux PCs | Plugable

But it's the same.

Bluetooth software download still tell me that can't start microsoft bluetooth stack.

So how can I install microsoft bt stack?

0 Likes

Please confirm which dongle are you using, along with the version of Microsoft Windows.

In addition, you will need to disable any BT radio that may be installed on the PC you are installing the SW on as the update will try to update the onboard non-BRCM radio as opposed to the BCM20702 based radio in the dongle.

We have had a few cases where we could not get these to work, so moving forward we are recommending that customers purchase a BCM20702 based dongle from one of our partners:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Bluetooth-Adapter-Windows-Compatible/dp/B009ZIILLI/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp...

http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM20702-UtechSmart-Bluetooth-Compatible/dp/B00DDH4TYA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dongle is from BCM920732_BLE_KIT, my MS windows is WIN7.

Likewise, my laptop don't have embedded BT module.

For BCM20732 based dongle, do you have Chinese distributor?

0 Likes

The dongle which shipped with the BCM920732 Development kit was based on the BCM20702 Dual mode device.

The two I recommended earlier are also BCM20702 based and can be purchased through any online electronics retail outlet.

See if Amazon China carries either of these two: 亚马逊-网上购物商城:要网购, 就来Z.cn!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi -- I'm using the recommended Plugable dongle on a Windows 7 machine, and trying to connect to the BCM20737TAG board running the hello_sensor sample application, as described in the Quick Start Guide.  When I click Add Device in the Windows 7 Bluetooth control panel, the device is detected as "BLE HR Monitor".  But then when I try to connect to it, Windows attempts to install a driver and fails with the following message:

pastedImage_0.png

Is there additional software I need to install on Windows 7 to make this work?

0 Likes

Did you install the Plugable drivers as well?

Plugable USB-BT4LE Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter for Windows and Linux PCs | Plugable

Others here on the forum have gotten this to work without too much trouble.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I installed the Plugable drivers.  The Windows installed program list shows "WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software" version 6.5.1.4100.  The dongle itself shows up in Device Manager as "Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Device".  It seems like there is some piece of software missing.  Any idea what it is?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello dfreed,

Let us check with the Windows Team and get back to you.

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
VictorZ_46
Employee
Employee
5 comments on blog 25 sign-ins 250 likes received

microsoft does not have a driver for the heart rate monitor device and that causes the no driver found popup. Please note that you can still develop and run application which will talk to your device. I do not think SDK currently provides a sample for HR monitor. You will need to do it yourself. You can use hello_sensor/peerapps/windows/helloclient as a sample.

MiTo_1583836
Level 5
Level 5
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

I have done a very clean install of a Bluetooth LE dongle on Windows 7 and Linux via virtual machine (Bluez).

The reference of the dongle is IOGEAR - Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter MODEL: GBU521. There is a CD coming with a Widcomm driver. You can also directly download the driver here: GBU521 Windows Drivers

The dongle is really tiny and it is based on the BCM20702. If you look at the Device Manager after the installation, you will see the dongle being listed under: "Bluetooth Radio". Look for "Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Device".

You can change the name of the device if you right click->Properties->Advanced, so the advertisement will be modified.

The mac address cannot be changed (just FYI).

Installation is clean without any errors (I had to reboot the machine once).

Win7 or Win8 stack do not support peripheral mode and will not send advertisements.

Ok I see, the dongle's name is showing up in my android device under Bluetooth. I was wondering how the name would be transferred to the android device (from the Windows computer). It most probably come from through the regular BT protocol.

0 Likes

Android device and Windows PC likely to use standard BT (not low energy) to communicate.

0 Likes