GPIF EOP does not terminate current USB transaction using Auto DMA

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
grbac_300821
Level 1
Level 1

Our basic system has a FPGA that controls a CCD imager.  The video data is transferred to the FX3 via the GPIF.  We are streaming the data to the PC via a USB 3.0 Bulk Endpoint.

I have based our code on Cypress's "SYNCHRONOUS SLAVE FIFO PROTOCOL EXAMPLE". We are using  AUTO DMA to support our bandwidth ( 350 mega bits per second).

We are using CYUSB overlapped IO on the PC side.

The FPGA continuously sends 18.75 * 16K data and asserts the EOP on the GPIF interface on the last byte.  I am able to see the EOP asserted in the DMA channel on the FX3.

Each queued request is for 16K of data. on the PC side. The issue is that I always receive 16K data on the PC side. I would expect to receive .75 * 16K bytes at some point.

How can I set up the DMA channel to terminate the current transaction when the GPIF receives an EOP?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Can you please make sure that SLWR and EOP are both asserted at the last byte? If EOP alone is asserted it will send a Zero length buffer while leaving the current traction unterminated.

So any new transfer would merge with 0.75 * 16K and make it as a complete 16K buffer.

i.e You need to ake sure that the state machine goes to SHORT_PKT state instead of ZLP state. (Refer your state machine diagram in the GPIF Designer software)

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
grbac_300821
Level 1
Level 1

Yes both SLWR and EOP are both asserted on the last byte.

I used the GPIFII_Designer_sync_SlaveFIFO.cyfx GPIF project.  Looking at the SHORT_PKT state there is a COMMIT, IN_ADDR, and IN_DATA action. According to help, the IN_DATA action suppresses the ZLP.  I removed the IN_DATA action and recompile. Still no terminated transaction.

I also tried making the the last transfer an odd size, i.e. 750 bytes. This did not work either.

0 Likes
grbac_300821
Level 1
Level 1

I have observed that if I synchronize the the PC to start reading from the usb bulk endpoint and then enable the hardware to start transferring data to the FX3 via the GPIF, I receive short packets on the PC side.

If I first enable the hardware to transfer data to the PC and then start reading from the bulk endpoint on the pc, I never receive a short packet.

I have worked around the problem for now by embedding a sync code in the video stream.

0 Likes