OpAmp trouble - offset too hugh

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I breadboarded the circuit in the attached picture and got unexpected results from the opamp. The ADC is configured to use the 1.024V bypassed reference in single-ended mode and the input on the non-inverting opamp pin is max 6 mV, so I configured the gain of the opamp to be 147. But when I measured the voltage on pin 1.3 (OP1.out) it was ~ 1.4V instead of the expected ~900 mV - the screenshot of the opamp config is also attached.

When I used an external opamp (AD8629), result was correct: 882 mV.

I am using the CY8CKIT-049-41xx development kit.

So what did I miss?

Thanks,

Todor

PS. The voltage on the output pin was measured with a multimeter 😉

0 Likes
4 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

I'm not sure that the OpAmp inputs can go as low as 6mV. You can test this by increasing the voltage to e.g. 7mV and see what happens. Also note that the offset voltage, according to the data sheet, can be as high as 2mV in low power configuration, which is a third of your input signal...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the answer...

... And please disregard my ignorance, but to properly understand all factors, where does opamp offset voltage affect the output -  before or after amplification? (i.e. is it [ input + offset ] * gain or input * gain + offset?)

Thanks!

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Offset is measured at the input, so an offset of 2mv would be either added or substracted from the input signal. If would explain up to 300mV difference in the output signal. Try to use "high power" mode, there the offset is at most 1mV.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the explanations. It looks like I will have to use a chopper amplifier with this, since the max of the input signal strength will be rarely reached; most often it will be around 3-4 mV, so I don't think that any on-chip opamp will be able to cut it...

Best regards!

0 Likes