Serial Input on PSoC 4 BLE Module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a BlueTooth Low Energy Pioneer Kit and am attempting to use the Serial device on the PSoC BLE module. I have a PC attached via an Adafruit USB<->Serial card (3.3v) that uses the Arduino serial pins (P1_5 and P1_4) on the Mother board for I/O.  I am using the Example UART_Rx04[CY8C4247LQI-BL484] project with the UART [v2.50] module.  The only change I made was to move the RX pin from P0_1 in the original project to P1_4.  I realize the project uses the LCD display but I am just testing the UART_1_GetChar() call and it never seems to sense a character.  I can see the LED flash on the Adafruit card when I send a character but I only get 0 from the call.  

I went to the example as my real project using the UART (SCB Model) [3.10] input did not work either.  The serial output does work and I get data from the board using the Arduino pins.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you for the help

--jim schimpf

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found it.  I get a warning (plm.M0038:The pin named \SER:rx(0)\ at location [IOP=(1)][IoId=(4)] prevents usage of special purposes: F(OA,3). ) when I use P1_4 in my application.  If I switch this to P0_4 it now works.  So P1_4 does not seem to work anywhere.  Which is  bad since it's the TX in for Arduino.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Jim, can you please post your actual project, so that we all can have a look at all of your settings. To do so, use
Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
and attach the resulting file.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the archive.

--jim schimpf

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Jim, your baud rate is rather uncommon. I would suggest you to use something like 9600 using internal clock or whatever the serial card supports.

Moreover: Set the Rx Buffer in the component to 15 and use UART_1_GetRxBufferSize() which returns the number of bytes received as indication for bytes received.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

UART [v2.50] changed to user internal clock and baud rate set for 9600. Also it doesn't have input buffer size settings.  The UART (SCB model) [3.10] has the size setting.

Enclosed is the modified project, no change still getting 0 for char or buffer size.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found the problem P1_4 used as RX in does not seem to work. If I use the RX demo project and set the RX in to P1_5 I get serial input.  But if I used P1_4 it does not.  P1_5 lists uart_tx as one of the signals and P1_4 lists uart_rx so I don't understand this.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found it.  I get a warning (plm.M0038:The pin named \SER:rx(0)\ at location [IOP=(1)][IoId=(4)] prevents usage of special purposes: F(OA,3). ) when I use P1_4 in my application.  If I switch this to P0_4 it now works.  So P1_4 does not seem to work anywhere.  Which is  bad since it's the TX in for Arduino.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yeah, have a look into the schematics, the pin P1_4 is connected to the UART bridge of the kitprog.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I found that section.  This means that if you don't have the board connected to the Mother board then you can use that pin.  I am planning to use it this way so I will try that.

0 Likes