Frequency for GPIO pins

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am very much a beginner trying to learn how to use Psoc for a project that involves converting an analog signal to digital and then transferring that data to a computer. I have a 100 Msps ADC that I originally thought I could use, but now I realize that there is probably some upper limit to the digital frequency that the GPIOpins /the Psoc in general can handle.

I've tried digging around for this information, but I've come across a lot of conflicting things. I am using the CY8CKIT-001 -- does anyone know the frequency handled by the GPIO pins for either the Psoc 3 or Psoc 5 version in this kit? Or is this frequency also limited by say, using the microcontroller? 

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi,

...does anyone know the frequency handled by the GPIO pins for either the Psoc 3 or Psoc 5 version...

Yes, the datasheet knows those things. If I remember correctly, for PSoC 5LP, the maximum GPIO frequency is 33MHz. For PSoC 3, I don't know. Please verify by datasheet.

Anyway, to solve your problem, I think you should tell us which ADC you're using and what the maximum expected frequency is.

Regards,

Ralf

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi,

...does anyone know the frequency handled by the GPIO pins for either the Psoc 3 or Psoc 5 version...

Yes, the datasheet knows those things. If I remember correctly, for PSoC 5LP, the maximum GPIO frequency is 33MHz. For PSoC 3, I don't know. Please verify by datasheet.

Anyway, to solve your problem, I think you should tell us which ADC you're using and what the maximum expected frequency is.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

In Creator just use the pin component datasheet to get the information you need. Ralf's estimation of 33MHz is correct for all PSoCs.

Bob