PSoC 1 and miniprog 3 question

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have the need to use this PSoC 1 models for some basic tasks:
Cypress PSoC 1 SOIC-16
CY8C21223-24SXI
CY8C20234-12SXI

Can I implement an ISSP and use the miniprog 3 to program them without any issue?

My plan is to build myself a kind of development board where I can practice with these MCUs before I put them in my project.

I plan on using the same miniprog 3 in other PSoC 4 projects I have so having a single programmer would be cheaper.

thanks!

-Jose

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I am not quite sure whether the Miniprog3 is able to program a PSoC1. Best is to get in contact with cypress directly: At top of this page select "Design Support -> Create a Support Case" and describe your problem.

What definitively will not work is debugging the PSoC1, it lacks some internal capabilities. I strongly recommend using PSoC4, this family is quite more versatile, faster and easier to handle than the PSoC1s

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer, I'll contact Cypress directly for that matter.

And yeah PSoC 4 is really cool but I was looking for a hand solderable IC package and one uC that has an ADC onboard(SOIC PSoC4 does not has it from what I've seen).

Thanks!

-Jose

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

PSoC4s have got an SAR-ADC. You may always solder a prototyping kit like a DIL44 onto your board.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read thru the docs of the miniprog3 and it's supposed to work with PSoC1, I pulled the trigger and sent to manifacture an small dev board with access to SWD via 5 pin and hoping for power cycle programming to work as this chip has no XRES. I might pull the trigger an original miniprog for my PSoC adventures. I have a knack for making my own boards, might also get a hot air gun to reflow QFP PSoC4s.

Regards

-Jose

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Err I meant ISSP not SWD

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It worked in the end, I am able to program the PSoC 1 with the MiniProg3 with no problems so far.   Here is a link to the project. https://github.com/jnavarro7/PSoC1_Dev_Board

0 Likes