ble dongle as a sniffer?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Here is what I’m trying to do:

I have several PSOC4 devices as peripheral devices, they gather sensor data and broadcast them only as broadcaster.

And for central device, I want to use a BLE dongle as an observer, like a sniffer.

They don’t establish connections, they communicate unidirectional.

So my question is can ble dongle work as a sniffer with relative interface (show complete adv data it sniffed, APIs for custom windows software development).

As far as I am concerned, TI and Nordic both have this dongle sniffer, I don’t know if Cypress also got one.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes, it can work as an observer. You can view the Advertisement packets received by the BLE dongle using the CySmart API.

Cypress provided libraries to build your own app as well, to obatin the data sniffed by the dongle.

The libraries are available with the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Package available on our website.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-042-ble-bluetooth-low-energy-ble...

Regards,

-Madhu Sudhan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes, it can work as an observer. You can view the Advertisement packets received by the BLE dongle using the CySmart API.

Cypress provided libraries to build your own app as well, to obatin the data sniffed by the dongle.

The libraries are available with the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Package available on our website.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-042-ble-bluetooth-low-energy-ble...

Regards,

-Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

And is it possible to use the CySmart USB Dongle to sniff packets of an unencrypted BLE connection? I.e. the packets that flow between a peripheral and a central that have an established connection.

Regards,

Martin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any new around that ?

Regards,

Asier.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suspect it is possible, but no idea how you would set about achieving it

Cypress' library might have it hardcoded out to not be able to sniff connection communications.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump!  Would love to hear an answer on this as well.  

@martin.roa.villescas_1981691 - did you find any solution for this?

Brian

0 Likes
euggersh
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins First solution authored 50 replies posted

This does seem to be an important tool that Cypress is missing.

0 Likes