Probing capsense and shield signals

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys,

I'm working on a product with a proximity sensing loop, and a driven shield on the backside to direct sensitivity in a single half of the pcb plane.

I'm trying to figure out if my CMod capacitor is sized properly for my application. Here's a scope capture, Chan1 is the sensor signal, and chan2 is the driven shield. Is this what it is supposed to look like?

The application notes and reference manuals said to 'make sure CMod is fully charging and discharging' but it didn't specify what the voltage is or what the waveform should look like--so guidance is appreciated.

[Image attached] also uploaded here: http://i.imgur.com/DlMw2Xy.png

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum.

Probing in the pF range can easily destroy your signal. Why don't you try the tuner application to check for proper signal discovery. It even allows for applying changes on-the-fly to your CapSense components. What value is your CMod?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, I was afraid of that. 

I'm using the EZ-BLE module at the moment, which has a cmod of 2.2nF and ctank of 10nF.  

In the tuner I see a reasonable signal swing, is there anything else to check in there that would confirm whether cmod is large enough?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You may configure your CapSense, so that you can modify the properties from tuner. Not only set for sensitivity, but set the noise margin and the hysteresis which are all affected by your electrical and geometric configuration of the final product.

Bob

0 Likes