Standard Characteristic in Custom Profile

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We are developing a new BLE product using a custom profile. The device will have a custom application so there is no need to use standard profiles and also it avoids the need for certification.

The device is done and works perfectly using the custom profiles but we now want to add Battery monitoring and Firmware revision to the product. We can add a "Battery" service to the design or we can add a "Battery Level" characteristic to the custom profile...

What is the benefit of one of these methods over the other? If we add the "Battery" service does that then mean we need to have the product certified by the SIG?

Any thoughts would be great,

Stephen

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure you have to certify if using standard profiles? We use GAP Service, GATT Service, Battery Service and Device Information Service. These are so standard so I did not think they needed some special treatment. You also need the Device Information Service anyway if you are targeting iOS (https://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/BluetoothDesignGuidelines.pdf).

If you are going to present a battery level, I encourage you to use the standard Battery Service. I can't see why this needs certification, especially if custom Service's does not.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure you have to certify if using standard profiles? We use GAP Service, GATT Service, Battery Service and Device Information Service. These are so standard so I did not think they needed some special treatment. You also need the Device Information Service anyway if you are targeting iOS (https://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/BluetoothDesignGuidelines.pdf).

If you are going to present a battery level, I encourage you to use the standard Battery Service. I can't see why this needs certification, especially if custom Service's does not.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been told in the past that certification is a must if using Standard profiles as they need to ensure that you adhere to the standard. I will e-mail the Bluetooth SIG and find out definite if i can. I will post back here if i get any new useful info. 

Thanks for the Apple Doc also, very useful.....

Thanks

0 Likes