Dynamic Configuration

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chmoc_1567941
Level 4
Level 4

i am new on PSOC-4. Till now i am using psoc-1.

There is facility in psoc-1 which is that we can use GPIO MULTIPLE TIME in dynamic configuration.

is that any facility available in psoc-4 like that??

0 Likes
12 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There is no dynamic configuration in PSoC4 except for dual bootloading, but you may configure the GPIO pins at your need during run-time and use multiplexors to select the sources for the pins.

Bob

0 Likes
chmoc_1567941
Level 4
Level 4

and what about psoc 5 and psoc3?

is that available in psoc 5 and psoc3??

and what is the dual bootloading??

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Not a difference between PSoC3,4 and 5. Please tell us exactly what you want to perform.

See datasheet for bootloader. for bootloading and dual bootloading

Bob

0 Likes
chmoc_1567941
Level 4
Level 4

i want to make temperature controller which has RTD and Thermocouple sensing.

At a time i want to use configuration either RTD OR Thermocouple as per the selection.

so Now suggest me What to do??  

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The PSoC4 has plenty of resources, so there is no need for your project to make things complicated. Just design your SAR ADC to digitize the incoming signals. A jumper can tell the board which configuration has been applied and calculate the temperature accordingly.

Bob

0 Likes
chmoc_1567941
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks bob!!!

can i use  bootloader and bootloadable component  for this application??

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, of course you may use a bootloader. Which Cypress Kit have you got? CY8CKIT-04?????

Bob

0 Likes
chmoc_1567941
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks bob for your valuable suggestion!!!

i have CY8C-042 development kit.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

So you are not in need of a bootloader, but you may use one. I would suggest you:

Program, test and debug your project without bootloader. When finished add the bootloader because debugging will not be as easy from that point on. You may try a CY8CKIT-043 and the snap-off kitprog for prototyping or even debugging your own board.

Bob

0 Likes
chmoc_1567941
Level 4
Level 4

okay bob!!!

Can you Explain me what is exactly use of bootloader and bootlodable component  with some simple example??

i dont understand from the appnote.

0 Likes

Hi Chirag,

it's quite simple: a bootloader is an application, which receives a firmware image for another application and stores it in memory.

The bootloader component ensures that the bootloader firmware image is placed in memory as the first application to run - therefore the name bootloader: 'load-on-boot'. A bootloader can have several features: one of the simplest is to always wait for a firmware image, regardless if it's needed or not - if there's no image received, there'd be also no running application. Other types of loaders can verify the integrity of the installed application images on startup and give alert if the image is defect, otherwise they'll pass control to those applications. It's also possible to have more than one application installed and switch between them. The bootloader component configures the behavior of the bootloader. If you use a bootloader component, you have to write the bootloader application.

The purpose of the bootloadable component is to put the user application to the right memory location (i.e. behind the bootloader, that's why you've to reference to the bootloader image). Using the bootloadable component means you're writing the user application.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

When you want to update the firmware of your PSoC in the field without having got a programmer the BootLoader will help. This program is able ro read the binary data from an interface of the PSoC (I2C, UART, USB, whatever your PSoC has got and can be connected to the PC) and program that data into the PSoC's flash. The updated project data is named "BootLoadable" and is exactly what will be programmed.

When the bootloading process is finished successfully the device will be reset automatically and the newly programmed image will be executed.

Bob

0 Likes