WICED WiFi Driver stalls after several seconds, buffer allocation error

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I've two problems.

I've implementing some code between LwIP and WWD. My code contains one thread with queue (I use own queue implementation).

I found point of integration of my code between LwIP and WWD. To receive data from LwIP I've used own function instead of wiced_network_send_ethernet_data() function and in my code I call wiced_network_send_ethernet_data() function to send data to WWD. I receive data from WWD in function host_network_process_raw_packet().

So, my code receives data from WWD, then does some modification in own thread and then sends it to LwIP.

Also I've enabled monitor mode and changed in function wiced_wifi_prepare_join parameter for ioctl WLC_SET_INFRA to zero to enable Ad-Hoc mode.

First my problem is about function wiced_network_send_ethernet_data().

If I allocate own packet by function host_buffer_get and function wiced_network_send_ethernet_data() often fails inside itself in piece code:

/* Add link space at front of packet */

result = host_buffer_add_remove_at_front( &buffer, (int32_t) -WICED_LINK_OVERHEAD_BELOW_ETHERNET_FRAME );

if ( result != WICED_SUCCESS )

{

So, it means that function host_buffer_add_remove_at_front can't allocate additional space before buffer.

I found 2 workarounds here. First is to allocate new temp buffer by malloc, then copy current to buffer to it, and then create new buffer by function host_buffer_get with enough space.

Second workaround is to allocate huge buffer in my code and there use function host_buffer_add_remove_at_front to decrease size. It allows to allocate additional spaces later in function wiced_network_send_ethernet_data().

But it looks strage, what do you think?

My second problem is in WWD driver. When all this stuf is working (LwIP <-> My code <-> WWD driver + monitor mode + ad-hoc), WWD driver stalls after several seconds. So I'm able to send several packets between modules but after several second they don't want to send or receive any packets.

I see in debugger that wiced_thread_func (in file wwd_thread.c), where WWD shall send/receive packets, stalls in getting semaphore:

result = host_rtos_get_semaphore( &wiced_transceive_semaphore, (uint32_t) WICED_THREAD_POLL_TIMEOUT, WICED_FALSE );

Do anybody know what I did wrong in the code that could lead to this behaviour?

P.S.

My boards: SSB-WM-N01

SDK version: 2.4.1

0 Likes
6 Replies
GregG_16
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 25 comments on KBA
The header also mentions buffer allocation error. But explanation does not say anything about it. So, in case this error is seen, there is a possibility that the buffers are not freed properly. In case some packets are being consumed by "My code" module, it needs to free the buffer by calling host_buffer_release().

About the second problem of wiced_thread_func stalling in getting semaphore.

This is the expected behavior of wiced_thread_func() thread. It waits on this semaphore (wiced_transceive_semaphore), and gets woken up when a packet is to be received or when a packet needs to be sent.

The problem of link space at the front of the packet inside wiced_network_send_ethernet_data()

For this problem your solution

“Second workaround is to allocate huge buffer in my code and there use function host_buffer_add_remove_at_front to decrease size. It allows to allocate additional spaces later in function wiced_network_send_ethernet_data()”

Is good. You allocate buffer which has enough space for WICED_LINK_OVERHEAD_BELOW_ETHERNET_FRAME, and then reserve this space using host_buffer_add_remove_at_front().

This is the correct behavior, functions like wiced_packet_create_tcp(), the system reserves the space for TCP/IP and link headers at the head of the buffer. This is done to ensure that no copy is required to add TCP/IP and link headers to the packet.

dshenoy thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi gangi,

The header also mentions buffer allocation error. But explanation does not say anything about it. So, in case this error is seen, there is a possibility that the buffers are not freed properly. In case some packets are being consumed by "My code" module, it needs to free the buffer by calling host_buffer_release().

I don't need to call host_buffer_free() because it does in WWD driver thread or in LwIP stack.

About the second problem of wiced_thread_func stalling in getting semaphore.

This is the expected behavior of wiced_thread_func() thread. It waits on this semaphore (wiced_transceive_semaphore), and gets woken up when a packet is to be received or when a packet needs to be sent.

In a WiFi sniffer I see packets intended to my board, but there is no reaction from WWD (no packets from WWD). At the same time, I send packets to WWD, but it also doesn't send them to wireless medium (no packet in the sniffer). It is what I mentioned:

WWD driver stalls after several seconds. So I'm able to send several packets between modules but after several second they don't want to send or receive any packets.

So, I agreed with new allocation, but I still have a problem with WWD.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pavel,

Can you explain what outcome you are trying to achieve?

Your description looks like you are modifying things in the wrong place causing you the troubles you are seeing.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi nikvh,

I have some code that I want to integrate between LwIP and WWD. And I want to receive management and data frames from WWD and WWD shall work in ad-hoc mode.

I have done that integration as I see it and now I want to get it working.

But I see that WWD malfunctions.

I have enabled monitor mode, because described WWD API that allows to receive beacons doesn't work.

I have changed infrastructure mode with ad-hoc mode by ioctl.

0 Likes

Hello,

If you are attempting to use 'monitor mode' to simulate the 'ad hoc' function, unfortunately this will not work.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

gangi,

I'm not trying to "simulate ad-hoc over monitor mode". It is independent features.

I'm trying to use ad-hoc mode and run monitor mode, because I need beacons frames that I can't retrieve by default WICED API.

0 Likes