RFID interfacing with PSOC 5LP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am currently working on a project that involves 2 RFID readers to be interfaced with a PSOC 5LP. I am using a HF RFID reader, i.e , it works at 13.56MHz. The aim of the project is to track the last known of any object in a house or building. This is achieved by placing an RFID reader at the entrance of a door and when the object attached with the RFID tag is taken through, it reports to the PSOC, which transfers the data on the tag along with a time stamp to a hyperterminal on a PC.

I need help for:

1)The current range of RC522 RFID is around 3CM( a passive RFID). I need to improve the range of the RFID to at least 2m. Should I use a signal repeater or should I opt for a UHF reader?

2) How to interface multiple devices to the PSOC using same protocol and how should I handle priorities? The reader supports I2C, SPI and UART protocols.

3) Time Stamping; Should I go for an internal timer or external clock?

Thank You

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum!

1)The current range of RC522 RFID is around 3CM( a passive RFID). I need to improve the range of the RFID to at least 2m. Should I use a signal repeater or should I opt for a UHF reader?

That's a thing of antenna and HF, a matter I know nothing about.

2) How to interface multiple devices to the PSOC using same protocol and how should I handle priorities? The reader supports I2C, SPI and UART protocols.

A PSoC5 has got several interfaces, so that will not be a problem. How many do you need at the same time?

Priorities are handled automatically when using interrupts. Probably no conflict because the PSoC5 speed is comparably high.

The PSoC will be master in SPI or I2C communication, so you will have to poll your RFID slaves for something happening.

A UART connection could trigger the PSoC by a slave sending a byte to start a communication or just accepting the data. Though looking old fashioned, I would vote for UART. When the cables are longer than 1m I would suggest to use RS232 line drivers on both ends of the cable. This would be a star topology.

I2C is designed for shorter distances and I do not know if line drivers could extend the bus topology.

SPI bus could be extended using line drivers, but you will have probably some more wires in your cable to ss the different slaves

3) Time Stamping; Should I go for an internal timer or external clock?

There is an RTC component in the PSoC. That would require a setting of the current date/time at startup. When the system is running (more or less) continuously you might set that over hyperterm or PuTTY once a day. Needs a clock crystal 32768Hz.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input,

I want to handle two devices for now, and i want the devices to initiate the connection, else the PSOC will be in a continuous polling state until the reader picks up something. So I'll go for UART, since the doors will be at some considerable distance to the PSOC.

I'll look into RTC and come back.

As for the range, i'll try to utilize a battery powered tag so , it can be detected without additional hardware change, i hope.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Increasing the range could lead to the problem that the tag approaches the door and without passing through it is turned back.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

i can solve that by making the plane of the door tangential to the max. detectable sphere.

0 Likes
RoBe_1502026
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Bharcooldude,

How are you access the rfid? I am trying to use the adafruit API. I can read a card but having trouble writing to one. ​

Would love some advice if you don't mind? Did you write your own API or find one online?

thanks!

Rob Berry

0 Likes