Capsense Tuner for Capacitive keypad (CY8CKIT-040 PSoC 4000 Pioneer Development Kit )

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaC_1685686
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I am new to using the development board i just purchased - CY8CKIT-040 PSoC 4000 Pioneer Development Kit

I have a couple of keypads with capacitive sensors and a ground trace around the outside.

Several times i have tried creating a project in capsense, I have no problem telling it what sensors and buttons there will be connected to it.

And i think i have the pins worked out with exception for the ground trace.

My problem is though i cannot get tuner to talk to my board.

I have tried putting the i2c and the ez12c into the workspace but it still does not work.

Has anyone had experiance with this or knows how i can get it to work.

Thanks in advance i know everyone must get frustrated with new users who have no idea,

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum!

Pitfalls are:

using the wrong pins for EzI2C, look into the schematic, probably it is P1_2 and P1_3.

not setting EzI2C sub-addrress size to 16

I am not quite sure, but afaik debugging should be disabled when using the tuner (.cydwr view, system tab, set debug to GPIO)

Make sure that the KitProg is latest firmware. Check by using Cypress Programmer as shown in the Pioneer's documentation

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum!

Pitfalls are:

using the wrong pins for EzI2C, look into the schematic, probably it is P1_2 and P1_3.

not setting EzI2C sub-addrress size to 16

I am not quite sure, but afaik debugging should be disabled when using the tuner (.cydwr view, system tab, set debug to GPIO)

Make sure that the KitProg is latest firmware. Check by using Cypress Programmer as shown in the Pioneer's documentation

Bob

0 Likes

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for replying.

I have just checked the pins again and made sure everything was assigned properly (to my knowledge)

I set sub address to 16 like you mentioned.

I am unsure how or where to do the afaik debugging disabling from. I started with no knowledge and i am learning quickly but have not even explored some areas yet.

I updated my firmware to the latest one as shown in the manual and that seemed to of worked.

It should be a simple project and i know it will just be a few settings wrong but i cant figure it out.

Thanks

Darren

0 Likes

**Update**

I just figured out how to set debug to GPIO but it did not change anything.

Still cannot connect to IC2 connection error

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Try this one...

Bob

DaC_1685686
Level 2
Level 2

Bob,

That worked perfect.

May i ask what you did to get that to work so i can learn what i was doing wrong?

I got it to connect to the tuner first go with that file.

Thanks for looking at that for me now i can do some testing.

Regards,

Darren

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I disabled debugging and inserted in main() the required call to use the tuner, nothing else.

Fine that it worked,

Bob

0 Likes
DaC_1685686
Level 2
Level 2

I am now having trouble with the center of my 3 segment slider with crosstalk.

Not to sure how there is no crossovers.

I have a ground plane that goes around outside of the keypad and buttons. I have not plugged it in yet as i was not sure where it goes. Is there a way to connect it and what sort of settings would i use.

The buttons are working great it is just this damn crosstalk and slider now.

Any advice would be great there is so many manuals and i have got so lost in them.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Is the crosstalk present without a finger near the slider? If so, I would suggest to increase the noise margin.

When not, I think that the "crosstalk" is used to calculate a position on the slider.

Having only three (3) segments for a slider reduces the number of possibly detected positions. As standard (correct me, if I'm wrong) there would be 255 positions, I suggest to reduce that to 6.. 10.

Bob

0 Likes

Thanks Bob i will try that when i have the board with me tomorrow again.

That sounds like a good idea.

What do i do with the ground however do i plug it in and do anything with it or just leave it not connected?

it seems to work perfectly for the buttons with no ground just not the slider, so that is conflicting my thoughts.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Just give it a try, the tuner helper will show instantly what is better. Stick to AN85951

Bob

0 Likes