FX3/UVC/Linux/OpenCV ??

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am using FX3 UVC.

Question: Is FX3 UVC driver compatible with OpenCV on Linux OS?

In application note(AN75779), contents about V4L2 exist. But I want to know whether OpenCV does or not.

Various Host applications allow you to display and capture video from a UVC device. The VLC Media Player is a
popular choice. Another widely used Windows application is AMCap. We recommend AMCap Version 8.0 because it
has demonstrated stability when streaming, whereas later versions of AMCap can slow down stream rendering. Two
additional Windows apps are VirtualDub (an open-source application) and Debut Video Capture software. Linux
systems can use the V4L2 driver and VLC Media Player to stream video. The VLC Media Player is available on the
web. Mac platforms can use FaceTime, iChat, Photo Booth, and Debut Video Capture software to create an interface
with the UVC device to stream video.   (Page 57 in AN75779)

Please response about that.

Regards, thank you.

Kim

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The UVC drivers are standard. If OpenCV support UVC standards of commination, then yes it is compatible with the FX3 recieved images. Please note that the role of FX3 here is to tranmit the parallel image data to the host-PC as per the UVC specific protcol.  

Are you taking about FX3 firmware? If yes, then yes, the firmware once programmed in the device flash, can we used to stream the images in Windows or Linux with standard UVC protocol. 

>>QtCam from E-Con system is a good choice for Linux platform. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nishant,

Thank you for response.

I solved the problem.
Firmware code:
In ProcessingUnit, I modified the number of bytes of communication(between PC and FX3) from 1 to 2.
So OpenCV's error message does not appear. And Get/Set action do well.

I think OpenCV's property differs from FX3 UVC property a little.

Regards, thank you.
Kim

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kim,

Glad to here you fixed your problem. I'm having essentially the same issue. I'm trying to reproduce your solution, but I cannot find exactly what you mean by "In ProcessingUnit, I modified the number of bytes of communication(between PC and FX3) from 1 to 2." Can you please direct me to the source file you are modifying and the values you changed? I would like to see if your fix works for me as well.

Thank you.

Jon

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nishant,

Can you perhaps clarify what Kim meant in his post?

Thanks.

Jon

0 Likes